What is the youngest LBV

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

What is the youngest LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

that you find in the marketplace?

Vintage and Shipper appreciated. I am trying to get a feel for what others see in their local stores or at least, the places they buy Port.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Re: What is the youngest LBV

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Locally I believe there is only one 2003:

Baros de Vilar LBV - Haven;t tried it yet - there have been othertargets for the $31 they are demanding.

In Ontario, a buddy of mine asked me about the Taylor 2003 and Fonseca 2003 LBVs available through the LCBO. I told him to buy both, try and send one of each my way!!! 8--) :twisted:

Aside from that, mostly 2001s from the big names (Grahams, Fonseca, Dow, etc.) The Taylor is at 2002 presently and needs about five years of decanting to make it drinkable IMHO... see ya in 4 more years! ;)
Morten O

Post by Morten O »

Quinta do Pego 2004 LBV has arrived. And since it's soon Christmas it's even on sale at 2/3 the price (that concept is strange as most Port gets sold around Christmas anyway). The Niepoort 2004 LBV should be around the corner, if not already here. Apart from that there are lots and lots of 2003's here.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I havn't seen any 2004's yet, only 2003's. But I also haven't been inside a wine store near me in almost 2 months so there could be some 2004 that have arrived.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

2004 Niepoort LBV has arrived.

I bought the last bottle of 2003 at a local wine shop. I asked them if they were going to get more, they said that that they will. So I go back in and they have more.... the 2004. Some people don't understand vintages.

-Dave-
Morten O

Post by Morten O »

Unfortunately the Niepoort 2004 LBV is far from as good as the Niepoort 2003 LBV, but I guess you already had that figured out.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Morten O wrote:Unfortunately the Niepoort 2004 LBV is far from as good as the Niepoort 2003 LBV, but I guess you already had that figured out.
I've not had it, but from what I've seen others who have had it, there seems to be an overwhelming consensus that it's no where near as good as the 2003.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Morten O wrote:I guess you already had that figured out.
Yes! :salute:
I am continuing to buy 2003 Niepoort LBV. In fact, I bought another case of half bottles yesterday. Everyone who I give a taste to says - "get me some more of that!"
-Dave-
Carlos Rodriguez

Post by Carlos Rodriguez »

Here in Valencia (Spain), we still in LBV 2001, unfortunately.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Carlos Rodriguez wrote:Here in Valencia (Spain), we still in LBV 2001, unfortunately.
Carlos,
Look at the bright side, At least a little extra bottle age is a good thing
Morten O

Post by Morten O »

I saw a Kopke 2004 LBV at the supermarket today. Cheap: $18, which is way below average LBV prices of $25-30. But I didn't buy it as (IIRC) it's close to awful. I tried it at a major tasting a couple of weeks ago, and if it's the LBV I'm thinking of then it tasted/smelled of sweat (others said urin etc) :shock:. It was also thin and not really that full of fruits and power. And the bottle is so d*mn ugly that it doesn't deserve to be bought!

:twisted:
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Carlos Rodriguez wrote:Here in Valencia (Spain), we still in LBV 2001, unfortunately.
Depending upon which producer, some of those 2001 LBVs were VERY good from '01!!! :) If you see the Noval unfiltered 2001 LBV, be sure to give it a try Carlos - I have three 6-packs at home and can never have enough of it... great juice! :D
Carlos Rodriguez

Post by Carlos Rodriguez »

Hi Todd,
Thanks for the information, I'll try to look for it.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Dow's 2003 LBV just showed up at one my local stores in the last month. Bottles indicate it was bottled in 2008. It was on sale ~$10 for a half bottle, so I picked up two of those. I was going to try one soon and see if I wanted to jump in for some full bottles. Of course I'm not much of a judge of future performance, so I'll gladly listen to other opinions on this one as well.
-Eric
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric,
The Dow's LBV's are filtered and not made for aging, they are made to drink young. So pop the corks and let us know how they are.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Andy Velebil wrote:Eric,
The Dow's LBV's are filtered and not made for aging, they are made to drink young. So pop the corks and let us know how they are.
Although my experimentation included throwing some of the filtered LBVs into a deep dark corner of the cellar - just to see. But as they typically use T-cap closures, I am cognizant of where they are and monitoring for signs of seepage...
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I recently had a 1983 Croft LBV (Filtered) with a t-cork top. The cork was just about at the end of its life as a sealing mechanism. The Port wasnt to bad though, at least for a filtered LBV that was ment to be drunk about 20 years earlier.
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I'm under the impression that LBVs must be bottled between 4 to 6 years after the vintage. In my experience many LBVs (Fonseca, Taylors, Croft, etc) are bottled after 6 years, usually filtered. Those who make LBVs in what is called the "Traditional" style are bottled after only 4 years (Warres, Smith Woodhouse, Ramos Pinto), and are unfiltered.

There have been some producers who, occasionally, instead of bottling their LBVs after 6 years in barrel, bottle them after only 5 years. I never know if that's because it was a weaker year that was ready to drink, or if they decided to bottle a firmer port for a change. The 2003 LBVs (Niepoort, Dows etc), bottled in 2008, must have been in barrel for only 4 1/2 years. That must make them a firmer, younger port, much more intense in fruit and structure.

I just don't see how there could be any 2004 LBVs on the market since we are only now reaching the fourth year since the vintage.

Filtered LBVs may be ready to drink but they can age very well as Andy has pointed out with his '83 Croft LBV. I too have had a few successes with filtered LBVs though not as old as his Croft. An '81 Graham was had in '94 and it was quite tasty, as was a '95 that I had last month. Personally, I think that LBVs (both filtered and unfiltered) make an excellent addition to the cellar for some everyday ports that have the potential do develop very well in bottle

Cheers..........Mahmoud.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:I just don't see how there could be any 2004 LBVs on the market since we are only now reaching the fourth year since the vintage.
I was thinking the same and wondered just how close to "4 years" the Kopke 2004 was ;)
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote:Eric,
I was really surprised by the 2003 Dow LBV. It had more of a tawny, marginally even 10 year old tawny flavor than I expected, despite a strong and deep red color. It was juicy on the first sip but I couldn't pick any fruits. Later I thought it had a little cherry or cranberry in the finish. It wasn't too hot, and while not dry on the conventional wine scale, was drier than a lot (most?) ports that I've had. If I had room in the cellar I might buy a few more. Maybe I'll try to make some room.