Bottling

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

JohnG

Bottling

Post by JohnG »

Does anyone know when, assuming it to be the case, it became illegal not to bottle Madeira on the Island? I assume that the same rule now applies as for port.

The reason for the question is that I am interested in discovering when a couple of solera wines might have been bottled, being British bottlings.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

A very easy question. In January 2002 the regulation changed for Madeira as it can now only leave the island, already bottled.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
JohnG

Post by JohnG »

Thanks for that, Roy. I am surprised that the regulation is so recent.
Paul David

Post by Paul David »

Must be because things there move at Island Speed :twisted:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Paul,

Have you been to Madeira?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Paul David

Post by Paul David »

No I was never there, I just thought of every other island I have visited.-Was I wrong ? On the other hand while in Portugal I came to realize that the only thing that moves fast is the insane drivers .... :twisted:
On a more serious note it sounds like a fasicnating place to visit -I will make sure to contact you if I ever have a chance to make it there. Cheers :wink: