Christmas Port

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Pedro Guimaraes

Christmas Port

Post by Pedro Guimaraes »

Anyone planning to open "that" special bottle of port on the 24th/25th...?

This year instead of the big guns im going for the surprise effect, trying to get something new from labels usually not so sought after...

these will be my christmas ports:

Borges Vintage 1980
Poças Vintage 2000
Churchill's Quinta da Gricha 1999

Let's see what happens...

A merry port christmas to all of you :D
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Christmas Port

Post by Glenn E. »

Merry Christmas, Pedro!

I plan to open two bottles on Christmas day with my wife's extended family. We will be having a 1985 Fonseca and a 1980 Graham's. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to get the requisite 12 hours of decant time on the Fonseca because dinner will be served mid-afternoon!

Christmas Eve will be spent with my wife's immediate family, and I plan to open a nice Reccioto after dinner.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I have a 1980 Taylors VP on death row this month for the Virtual Tasting, so that will get opened sometime this month if all goes as planned. Not sure it will be on christmas day exactly, but it will be at least close enough to count :mrgreen:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I was invited to Christmas brunch at the home of a sommelier, so there may be a lot of wine consumed that day. I haven't picked out a port yet. Hmmmm.

The day after is my 40th, so the next decision is whether to track down a 1968 port (any recommendations?), open a magnum of Double Bastard Ale I have, or go snowboarding and save the alcohol for another day.

-Eric
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Eric,

Skip the Port and drink a 1968 D'Oliveiras Bual Madeira! It is worthy of such an occasion.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Eric, try a nice colheita. The Noval 1968 is pretty good.

We are very lucky that friends of us, who are over from Portugal on a visit, brought a very special treat for Christmas. So we will be drinking Niepoort Garrafeira 1952. 8--) :D
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Ronald Wortel wrote:Niepoort Garrafeira 1952. 8--) :D
ooo....Nice!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

This weekend I have buddy coming up here who we plan on going full throttle with some big bottles and try to get him sick if he doesn't show restraint. 3 people, 4-5 bottles of port and too many cigars. If he is on all fours over the toilet, we will have met our goal, lol... :twisted: Maybe he'll make it out unscathed?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Jan-Tore Egge

Post by Jan-Tore Egge »

Not sure if we'll have any on the 24th/25th, but the plan is to drink tawnies this Christmas. My favourite tawny is the Niepoort 20YO, but this time I'm going for the Ramos Pinto 30YO and the Cockburn's 20YO.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Moses Botbol wrote:This weekend I have buddy coming up here who we plan on going full throttle with some big bottles and try to get him sick if he doesn't show restraint. 3 people, 4-5 bottles of port and too many cigars. If he is on all fours over the toilet, we will have met our goal, lol... :twisted: Maybe he'll make it out unscathed?
This isn't Luc is it???? :)
João Rico

Post by João Rico »

I started early this weekend crashing some bottles of:

Smithwoodhouse 77
Niepoort Garrafeira 77
Niepoort Colheita 63
Niepoort Vintage 1970

For the 24th/25th i will have to decide what to open....
David Aho

Post by David Aho »

On the 24th: Garrafeira Particular Colheita 1927 (bottled 2007)
On the 25th: Fonseca VP 1977
The 1st duty of a wine is to be red... the 2nd is to be PORT
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Todd Pettinger wrote:This isn't Luc is it???? :)
No, but hopefully he'll get his turn on me soon enough. I would like to go to Montreal some weekend not too far from now. Getting my snow tires mounted today.

My friend Dennis is a big fan of port, but does not get to drink the good stuff too often, so I doubt he'll have any self restraint, much to his demise... :evil:

Oddly enough, I know very few people who do not like port...
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
cj savino
Location: somerset, New Jersey, United States of America - USA

Post by cj savino »

I am planning on a 1963 Grahams for Christmas Eve, just got two bottles at auction and cannot wait to open them.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have opened a 2004 Pocas and last night a 1985 Dow's ... which only leaves me a couple of bottles here (I am with my wife's family in Michigan). The best option is probably a bottle of 1983 Gould Campbell which should work nicely for Christmas Eve. It is a bottling that I typically really enjoy.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

For Christmas Day this year I shall probably pop something fairly modest, as family events are rather dispersed, with too many participants having to drive afterwards :roll:

A Cockburn '60, preceded by a Palmer '85 and a Cloudy Bay '08 - is the provisional firing line - If I feel thirsty, I might just pop a Sandeman '34...

Tom
Michael M.

Post by Michael M. »

Roy Hersh wrote:I have opened a 2004 Pocas and last night a 1985 Dow's ...
Roy,
how was the Pocas showing? I had this one some month ago. No TN because I popped and poured. But I remember, that it was very fruity, with nice concentration and pretty edged.

Michael
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
michael miller

Post by michael miller »

Most likely port on the 24th, have to work on the 26th. Discovered a 55 Croft in my cellar the other day, I think that is the one for Christmas eve.

Michael
Michael Miller
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

João Rico wrote:I started early this weekend crashing some bottles of:

Smithwoodhouse 77
Niepoort Garrafeira 77
Niepoort Colheita 63
Niepoort Vintage 1970

For the 24th/25th i will have to decide what to open....
Joao, is the Garrafeira 77 released already?
And how was it?
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Jeffrey Karp
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona, United States of America - USA

Post by Jeffrey Karp »

Laura and I are opening the sister bottle (second) to the first of two 1963 Graham's I ever purchased way back when I first got involved in port and (oh the horror) before my taste for port was mature enough to really appreciate that first bottle which for the most part, ended up wasted as I decanted way too long and destroyed the tannic core. It mostly ended up being poured down the sink with deep regret for getting in over my head, way too early in the game.

A couple of hundred vintage ports later, I can't wait to taste the difference. I'll write and post a TN after we finish the bottle.

Merry Chrismas and Happy Chanukah to everyone and of course to those you hold dear as well.

Jeffrey Karp