Let's start thinking about March's VT theme?

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Let's start thinking about March's VT theme?

Post by Roy Hersh »

:soapbox: I have some ideas, but prefer the collective Port wisdom to suggest a great theme for next month while this one continues.

BTW, I see no reason why all TNs that are entered into the VT for Port ... should not also be put into the TN Forum area!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Re: Let's start thinking about March's VT theme?

Post by Al B. »

How about "Bargain Ports". Any port you want, provided it cost less that £10 / $12 / €12 or equivalent? There's a lot of good ports out there which are not expensive and it would be good to try and compare a range of them.
Carlos Rodriguez

Post by Carlos Rodriguez »

Al B. wrote:How about "Bargain Ports". Any port you want, provided it cost less that ...
I like the idea of "Bargain Ports", but could they be "Bargaing Vintage Ports" under .....€,..$?
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Alex,

Great idea actually. However, I don't see how a GBP10 Port translates into a USD$12 Port. a. Neither the exchange rate or B. what we can find over here compared to pricing in UK, is anywhere near close to being at even the exchange rate of $1.43 to the £. But I still like your idea very much about doing a bargain Port theme and it given the economy, maybe it would encourage people to drink outside of their normal comfort zone of VPs, Colheitas, upscale Tawnies and even LBVs. Then again, we can't find LBVs here for £5 or for that matter, under $20 too often, if at all. Occasionally a CA retailer will have something in the LBV category in that price range. You guys don't know how lucky you are with the pricing over there. Then again, if we did not have our Canadian Port loving brethren to remind us ... we'd be taking our "decent" pricing for granted too. :mrgreen:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Due to a mixup on a recent order, I have just acquired two bottles of 2003 Quinta do Noval VP for $30 each. (The store shipped these Novals instead of the Portals that I ordered. The replacement Portals are on the way, and they decided to give me the Novals on the cheap rather than having me ship them back.)

Would those count as a bargain Port for purposes of this theme? :evil:
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn,
Yes, but put those babies away for about 20 more years. Thats a steal at that price...for a minute I though you moved to the UK :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Oh don't worry, I already have a case stored away safely in my wine fridge. Those were more expensive though - a whopping $37/bottle. :evil:
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

:thumbsup:
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

You guys aren't going to believe this...

The store shipped me another 2 bottles of the 2003 Noval instead of the 2003 Portal. I took a picture of them and emailed it back to the guy and offered to ship them back if he'd send me a label, but he said I could keep them as an apology. I can totally understand the error... but you'd think that the second time the warehouse would have been extra careful to make sure they shipped the right bottles!

I don't have space in my fridge! :help: So now we're definitely having some Noval with dinner tonight! :lol:
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

NO don't do it...they are so young :hoppingmad:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Al B. wrote:How about "Bargain Ports". Any port you want, provided it cost less that £10 / $12 / €12 or equivalent? There's a lot of good ports out there which are not expensive and it would be good to try and compare a range of them.
Alex, does that mean we can open the Smith Woodhouse 1997s that we bought from BBR last year? :wink:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek T. wrote: Alex, does that mean we can open the Smith Woodhouse 1997s that we bought from BBR last year? :wink:
Yes, as this current months VT is 1997 Vintage Ports :winepour:
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Derek T. wrote: Alex, does that mean we can open the Smith Woodhouse 1997s that we bought from BBR last year? :wink:
Yes, as this current months VT is 1997 Vintage Ports :winepour:
But these particular bottles of SW97 (all 48 of them) would be valid entries in the under £10 per bottle theme in March :wink: :devil:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Open one this month and another next just to see how they are coming along :devil: :lol:
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Following the idea of bargain port, exchange rate that could be problematic and the market availability, why not make a VT with unfiltered LBV?
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Frederick Blais wrote:why not make a VT with unfiltered LBV?
I like that idea too :D
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I'm game for any 2003 or 2005 VIntage Port (or SQVP for the 2005's). Lets see what people think of them now when they are still young. They can be found relatively cheap and easy. It would be fun to revisit this thread 10 years later. Just my :twocents:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Opps :oops: its march 1st and we never decided on a theme...think quick folks...what would you like.
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

We had our run at VP in the last months, lets get back to something simpler and do some unfiltered LBV.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company