How many bottles of Port do you own today?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

How many bottles of Port do you own today?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Do you know the approx. % breakdown by category ... in rough numbers?

How does that compare with 1 year ago? 2 years ago? 5 years ago ... or more?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Re: How many bottles of Port do you own today?

Post by Derek T. »

Approximately 460 bottles.

Very roughly...

>> 20 are aged tawny or colheita
>> 40 are unfiltered LBV
>> 400 are VP

Compared to 5 years ago: +454 :roll:

Compared to -1 and -2 years, probably +150 per year.

I also open 100+ bottles per year from my own cellar, including off-lines, and have done so for the past 3 years.

:help:
Edward Nemergut
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, United States of America - USA

Post by Edward Nemergut »

I have 108 bottles, of which about 104 are vintage. That's about twice what I had a year ago and about 4 times compared to what I had 2 years ago...

That said, I don't expect my collection to double over the next 12 months!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I own 168 bottles according to CellarTracker, but that's missing my "daily drinker" bottles that I don't bother to enter into the database. Right now I have about 7 of those lying around, so 175 total bottles. 5 of those are magnums, 15 are halves, and one is a 500.

Of those, 64 are Colheita/Tawny with an indication of age. All 5 magnums and 4 of the halves are VP. The 500 is a Porto Rocha "Glorious 50th" Tawny.

My most populous vintage is 1964 at 30 bottles, which is almost entirely made up of Colheitas. I do have a small collection of SQVP from 1964 as well, all currently in "off site" storage in Derek's cellar. :wink: My most populous VP vintage is 1994 with 27 bottles (2 of which are magnums), followed by 2003 with 19 bottles (3 of which are magnums).
Glenn Elliott
Richard Beeken

Post by Richard Beeken »

Roy,
I'll tell you if you'll tell me . . . can't wait for that post . . .
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Although last year I opened in the neighborhood of 10 cases, 2007 was 14 cases. This year, with the upcoming 2007s coming on board, I'll be doing taste tests so that should bring down the quantity considerably, which is already at nearly 3 cases so far this year (but 1+ was at the Gala). So my consumption has been exceeding my buying habits (I was hoping that would happen some day!) which in 2008 was about 52 bottles total and in 2007, 68 bottles. My last time buying any real quantity was in 2005 when the 2003s hit the market.

My Port collection is more modest than at its peak circa 2000. The catergories are broken down very close to this:

58 cases mixed VPs (here and over there)
3.5 cases of Colheita
4 cases of assorted LBV/Tawny/other

Although I will buy some 2007s judiciously ... probably no more than 3-4 cases of mixed VPs for my daughter's future drinking pleasure/inheritance.

OK, now it is your turn Richard.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Richard Beeken

Post by Richard Beeken »

I'm always amazed at how like dragons laying on their hoards of treasure we wine nuts are - we have an infallible sense of every bit of "treasure" we possess, where it's located in the pile, and god forbid any should try to purloin or even touch any of it for we shall know, even in our dreams.
Ergo, of course you know, probably offhand, every bottle, stashed or consumed.
Hard to stop collecting just because you've got more port than you or Taylor will very likely be able to consume in your lifetimes . . . and so many grand vintages to go! so many great deals to be had! fortunately you have many friends able and willing to help whittle that cellar down.
I have about as many bottles of vintage port as you have cases - a handful of colheitas/tawnys and 20 or so vintage madeiras.
I keep trying to consume more than I buy each year but it just doesn't seem to work - I tell my wife that they're mysteriously reproducing on their own in the cellar but she seems a bit skeptical. Guess I should force down a 70 Fonseca this weekend - for population control purposes. . .
Steve Culhane

Post by Steve Culhane »

I've been very stable at around 110 bottles for the past 3-4 years. I don't drink much, so about 10-15 bottles come out every year and are replaced by an equal amount coming in.

I usually have 4-5 tawnies/colheitas in there. So my cellar is 98% VP.
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Lately I've been opening bottles faster that I've been buying them! I'd estimate that I probably have approx. 220 bottles in the cellar. Broken down by type I'd say that I have 200 bottles of VP, 15 bottles of aged tawny/colheita and a handful of unfiltered LBVs & white port.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Have a little over one hundred bottles of Port and a similar number of Maderia. Probably 50 or 60 other fortified wines, ie Sherry, Setubal, Australian Muscats, Californian port-styled wines.
Soren Bodker

Post by Soren Bodker »

:help: I must be crazy

Total number of port bottles - I won't tell (my wife could be seeing this) but I can say that there at this moment are 254 different bottles (styles, vintage and producers). Yes, .... I will do my best to taste it all during the next 60 years (I intend to set a new record as the longest living portlover) :drunk:
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

As of today, 2,570 bottles, of which 2,456 are VP

Average age of VP bottles - 25yrs, 11 months

Time taken for collective age to advance by one year - 3hrs, 34mins.

Tom
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

12 months ago - about 2 bottles (about because there were halves and a 500ml)
6 months ago - about 11
today - about 22; 15 VP, 2½; LBV, the rest white, ruby, tawny, and reserves
I do hope to double my collection in the next twelve months, and if I can keep that up for 7 years, I'll have as much as Tom.
:D :shock:
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Never really looked until now...sometimes CellarTracker is a bad idea :wink:

692 bottles of Port (includes some that are still pending arrival)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

i just sold almost my entire collection. I now have 1 bottle left, a croft 1920 and some Colheitas of a fairly unknown shipper, Barrao de Villar.
If it ain't dutch it ain't much

http://www.erikwiechers.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Someday soon I plan to install a spiral cellar, with a capacity of 1,870 bottles. While I don't have anywhere near enough bottles to fill it, perhaps one day I will! I calculate that at my current rate of consumption, I still need to buy another 2,443 bottles in order to be able to continue to drink at the same rate.

Of the bottles I currently own, 85% are port. Of these port bottles, 90% are vintage, 7% are single quinta, 1% is crusted, 1% is LBV and there is one bottle of ruby and one bottle of tawny. 16% of the port I own is from the 1963 vintage, 45% is 21 years or older (which is the traditional age for port being ready to drink). 32% of my port is from Vesuvio with the next most represented shipper being 10% from Fonseca.

How does this compare to last year - I don't have a clue! That is one stat that I don't track on my spreadsheet - must remedy that for future use! The only way I would be able to tell is to look up the equivalent of this post from 12 months ago.

Alex
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Erik Wiechers wrote:i just sold almost my entire collection. I now have 1 bottle left, a croft 1920 and some Colheitas of a fairly unknown shipper, Barrao de Villar.
Erik,
i hope all is alright? Why'd you sell it all off?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Erik Wiechers wrote:i just sold almost my entire collection. I now have 1 bottle left, a croft 1920
:evil:

Oh no!
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

Erik,
i hope all is alright? Why'd you sell it all off?
All is well Andy. Someone made me a very good offer for it which i could not refuse (Godfather tune). Nah, the price was that good so i decided to sell it off. And the times i drink a very rare bottle are a few times a year so for me its better to buy a good bottle every now and then and drink it then to buy it and stash it away.

And now im looking at a 42"full HD plasma screen with blu-ray and a bose surround set :D
Man blu-ray IS a major improvement over normal dvd.

But dont worry, im not going to leave this forum.
If it ain't dutch it ain't much

http://www.erikwiechers.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Erik Wiechers wrote:All is well Andy. Someone made me a very good offer for it which i could not refuse (Godfather tune).
It wasn't that guy that was trying to sell you his stuff a few months ago was it? If so you would be doing very well given what he thought were fair prices. (Re: http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... f=6&t=6478)