2002 Dows Crusted Port -- Bottled in 2002

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Alex Marshall

2002 Dows Crusted Port -- Bottled in 2002

Post by Alex Marshall »

First tasting note and first crusted port:

Purchased for £10.99 from a local wine shop. Appears to be the lowest price in the UK according to winesearcher. First crusted port so not sure what to expect.

Cork came out cleanly, stated 'crusted port 2002', no mention of Dows on the cork.

Smell: I smelt lots of blackcurrants. The alcohol drifted between medium and strong. Sometimes a smokey smell was detected.

Taste: Cherries were present. The smoke was hinted at in the taste. Again, the strength of the alcohol varied with each taste. The aftertaste strongly resembled jam, it didnt last for long though.

Conclusion: This being the first crusted port i've had, i wasnt sure what to expect. The Quinta do Noval LBV 2003/2000 is in a similar price range and I feel I prefer that more. I'm not sure if i'll by it again, if I do, it will be to cellar for 5-10 years just to see how it develops. I'll have to keep a look out for more crusted ports. If anyone knows of any going cheap, I would be glad to be informed about them.

On a different matter, BBR are offering £50 off your next spend online if you spend over £250. You just have to update your preferences online.

Regards,

Alex
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Dows 2002 Crusted

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alex,
Congratulations on your first tasting note :clap:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ben Read

Post by Ben Read »

Alex,

Interesting to read yor thoughts. I bought a bottle of this from Asda but for £12.99 so you did do well on price. Not yet tried it but keen to do so as like you I have never had crusted as a style.

I do have one other bottle - a Grahams 2001 from Sainsbury's at £14.

Cheers,

Ben
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ben whom?

I thought that guy Ben had returned to the land of lurkers. :devil:

Nice to have you join us for at least a post. :help:

I haven't seen you since .... October in London.

Seriously, how have you been, Ben?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Robin L.

Post by Robin L. »

Alex,
Dow's Crusted 1999 gave me roughly the same overall impression but I never felt a difference with ageing (5 or 6 years between the first time and the last time).
Robin Levesque