What is the best value Port?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: What is the best value Port?

Post by Glenn E. »

Mark DaSilva wrote:I assumed this post was for cheaper ports where value can be had (especially in this economy).
I did too - note that my recommendations were Graham's Six Grapes and Broadbent Auction Reserve. :lol:

But like Moses said, value can come at any price. I managed to pick up a magnum of 1994 Taylor Fladgate VP for just $200... I'd say that was a great value and if it were normally available at that price I'd have listed it in this thread. I also think that the Noval 40-yr old, which can usually be found for around $100, is an excellent value but I have a hard time recommending something that expensive when the Sandeman and Ramos Pinto 20-yr olds can usually be found for around $40.
Glenn Elliott
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Glenn E. wrote:For me, at least, the "best value" point is at the 20-yr olds. 10s are still too immature, while 30s and 40s typically aren't worth the added cost. Though if you can find a 40-yr old for under $100 it'd be a tough choice for me.
For Tawnies, I agree with Glenn - most 20 year old tawnies are starting to show the complexity and age that makes them great. 30 and 40 year olds are usually not worth the step up in price, although, if judging for the QUALITY only, most 30 and 40 year olds kick the snot out of 20 year olds. Not all though.

One particular niche that I find can hold some decent bargains if you find them at the right price are the Colheitas. A 30 or 40 year old Colheita is typically not as expensive as most 30 or 40 year old Tawnies, although there are always exceptions. Generally speaking, I have caught a couple of lucky breaks on aged Colheitas being extremely good value.
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

My current round of value favs....

Crift Distinction ( replaced Graham's 6 G's in my house)

10 yr tawny by ramos pinto

Warre's LBV '95

Ramos Pinto LBV 01 or any recen vintage
Scott Anaya
Michael M.

Post by Michael M. »

My current QPR house Port is Ferreira Dona Antonia. Very satisfying juice for 9 EUR.

Michael
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Michael,

That is a really stunning value and I agree with you. It is virtually an 8 year old tawny if you want to look at it that way. I have always enjoyed the freshness of that particular bottling and felt that it is unclear to many, what it is and that might hurts its marketing image. OTOH, it also enable this to be sold at some pretty reasonable prices although what you paid is fantastic!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

I stopped in a wineshop in Scottsdale today and saw a magnum of Warre's 2003 VP for $75. How easy would it be to get that back to Chicago in one piece? And I'd have to find a lot of people who were interested in sharing that bottle either here or there. Otherwise, that seems really cheap. The store is called Village Wine Cellar, in Scottsdale. I think they had about 5 bottles left, if anybody lives around there.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

BRian,
Buy one have them ship it to you in Chicago. If not, just have them put it in a styro shipper, stick it in your luggage and your all set! Then throw it in the cellar to age. Thats too good a deal to pass up.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

If you trust that your luggage won't get lost by the airline, just pack it in a suitcase. I've done it many times, wrapping the bottles carefully in clothing to ensure that they are well padded on all sides (especially the bottom) and I've never had a problem. If you're really paranoid, buy one of those plastic water-tight wine bottle shippers for $2-3 and seal it in that also.

Just don't put the bottle up against any edge of the suitcase. To be safe, make sure you have at least 2-3" of clothing padding on every side and also make sure there are no other hard objects in the suitcase near the bottle.
Glenn Elliott
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

To update, I made it back to the shop today and purchased the bottle. I am having them ship it back to Chicago. Because checking in an extra bag on the flight costs money now, it doesn't make as much sense to go that route now. And God forbid anything would happen to the bottle in the suitcase. Thanks so much for the advice, everyone.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Brian,
Glad it worked out and you were able to get it. Now the hard part is waiting 20 years to open it :wink: :lol:

Back to the topic....for those of you in the UK, I'd say the 1991 Morgan VP from Tom is the best deal there is. I do believe he still has a number of cases of this for next to nothing. A great daily "House VP"
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

The less well known shippers in general often offer good value vintage ports - Morgan 1991 @ £8 was fantastic value but has nearly been drunk up and will likely soon be replaced with Morgan 1985 @ £10-12.

My recommendation to anyone who wants to try a good quality port without breaking the bank is the Noval Unfiltered LBV. If you buy in the supermarket discount season you can pick these up for under £10.

Otherwise, don't be afraid to buy a good ruby reserve and then stick it away somewhere cool and dark for a year or two. I like my Fonseca Bin 27 when its been treated this way far more than I like it when it is bought and opened immediately. (An experiment I promise myself I will try with Grahams 6 Grapes but haven't got round to yet.)

Has anyone else tried bottle-maturing ruby ports? What effect have you noticed?
Last edited by Al B. on Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael M.

Post by Michael M. »

Al B. wrote:...
My recommendation to anyone who wants to try a good quality port without breaking the bank is the Noval Unfiltered LBV. ...
A very good recommendation. I never had been disappointed. Make shure that it is the unfiltered version. Unfortunately, less than 10 GPB is a price you can only dream of in Continental Europe.

Michael
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Bryan H.

Post by Bryan H. »

House Port right now is Warre's Otima 10 year. Found 7 bottles at my local Dominick's for $9.99 in the deep discount bin, and got all of them.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

A subscription to the FTLOP newsletter :D
Dwayne Porter

Post by Dwayne Porter »

Being very new to the appreciation of Porto! Always enjoyed "wine tasting", Mostly sweeter white and desert wines,but never really enjoyed the "REDS".Now all has CHANGED, I find myself at my Favorite grocery store, Trader Joe's! Being curious I have Tried all the Porto that they have ,and after a little research I have found that it all was a great value!
Harris LBV 2003 @12.99 is my favorite followed by
Harris 10 year tawny @14.99
Fonseca Bin #27 Reserve@14.99
Cockburns Special Reserve @13.99
Warre's Warrior Special Reserve@12.99
I enjoy all, and while doing more searching found a local version of Old Vine Tinta Port from Ficklin Vineyards in Madera Ca
that is estate bottled @15.00 available @ raley's supermarkets among other places.
I am looking forward to my first Vintage Port Tasting
Any suggestions as to what events are available to do this?

Thanks, Dwayne Porter
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi Dwayne,

Welcome to :ftlop: !

If you let us know where you live, at least which state/city etc. we can be far more helpful in making a recommendation. As you mention Trader Joe's it is obvious you know where to find good value Ports. Now if we can help you with a fun tasting of Vintage Port in your area, that might be something well worth while and we'd like to have you come back to visit us to share your impressions of the Ports you do get to taste!

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Dwayne,
I'm sorry I missed your earlier post :oops: Welcome to the forum and thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed post.

Trader joes in my area used to have some really nice deals on ports that would show up. I once got some 2000 Warres for around $45, which was a good price on it then. Sadly they don't seem to have those good deals anymore.

The Ficklin is a good value for a domestic version of "port." IIRC, they use the traditional grape varietals here so it's about as close to the real thing as you can get here.
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

Easy for me

Quinta do Javali 2004 VP
If it ain't dutch it ain't much

http://www.erikwiechers.com
Monique Heinemans.

Post by Monique Heinemans. »

Maybe nice to pick up this threat again.

Just bought some bottles of the 1995 Gould Campbell LBV @ 15 euro (AH wijndomein) the other week and opened one this weekend. I think this is very good, a lovely LBV and a great value to me.
Also the 2007 Niepoort crusted @ 19 euro (Ton Overmars) and the 2007 Pocas VP @ 26,50 euro (Sligro) are great values and still available over here.
Barry Sunderland

Post by Barry Sunderland »

Even though not universal pricing, I did get 5 bottles of 2007 Rocha VP for $26 per .750 a week ago.