Your best Port wine find on a restaurant wine list?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Your best Port wine find on a restaurant wine list?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Whether an old vintage, a rarity that you had never seen before or just an amazing price on a bottle that you wound up "having" to buy ... please do share the experience and if you'd like, the restaurant/location too. :winepour:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Your best Port wine find on a restaurant wine list?

Post by Andy Velebil »

I do like these threads. It's always fun to see what stuff people find lurking in some low key places.

For me one time was last year when I was at dinner in a little place that doesn't have an internet presence, a small family place with a nice wine list. Just before dinner I wandered over to a small side bar area with some unopened bottles on it. I had seem some Port bottles and of course, just had to check them out to see what they are. I found a 1990 Quinta do Noval LBV among a bunch of basic quality stuff. I had never seen an older Noval LBV for sale around my parts and when the owner briefly joined us at the dinner table later I asked her if I could buy the bottle. A little negotiating later I bought it for a very good price, given it was bought at a restaurant and not retail.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

1963 Delaforce at a popular dessert only restaurant that has a few locations in Boston. Forget the price, but it is near regular pricing! I want to say it was maybe $225.00....
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

1963 Cockburn at Daniel's Broiler in Seattle during the 2009 Port Gala. The price was even reasonable as I recall given that it was at a high-end steak house. For some reason $300 sticks in my head.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I haven't bought one, but this thread made me revisit the wine list at the Flagstaff House in Boulder, CO. They have 1994 Cockburn's for $66! I just checked wine-searcher and the best I could find at retail in the US was $55, and there were plenty of listings above that restaurant price.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Eric Menchen wrote:I haven't bought one, but this thread made me revisit the wine list at the Flagstaff House in Boulder, CO. They have 1994 Cockburn's for $66!
Wow, I know what bottle I'd order! :winepour:

Fancy menu; looks like a great place.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

1944 Royal Oporto Colheita at Texas de Brazil in Richmond, VA. I only bought a glass, mind you. :D
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Portal Restaurant in London is the only one I have found that has Quinta do Noval Nacional 1963 on their wine list 8--)
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

The Portal Restuarant in London is a great place to eat at. had a smoking good 1996 Portal Gran Reserva when I ate there last year.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
*Neendaorbinia

Post by *Neendaorbinia »

While in Tampa last year I had a chance to dine at Bern's Steak House. Here is their Dessert menu: http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/Portals/ ... pirits.pdf It's a 43 page book of alcohol choices. At the time I tried an 83 Grahams and an 186x's Lomelino madeira, but the list is quite impressive, it's a total drool list, in case anyone else makes it near there, stop by the desert room.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric,
I've heard of Bern's and one day I'll make it out there to give it a go myself. Until then I just have to settle on living vicariously through others who have.
Mark DaSilva
Location: Mission Viejo, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Mark DaSilva »

The Cellar, in Fulleton, California. Has Graham's 30 yr tawny for $25, Dow 2003 vintage among its inhabitants...

I mention this place also because of its history. Apparently, before Disney opened his park, he owned the Hotel California in this city. He put his friends and guests up here and below it, was a restaurant called The Cellar. It was designed by the guy who did Pirates of the Caribbean. And it looks like it too, with a bit of the Haunted Mansion. Really cool theme; trees inside, old beams of dark wood, low ceilings, and paintings on the walls that stick out like statues.

Anyway, small bar, but the bartender brought out his port selections which were the ones mentioned above. I usually ask whenever I visit a restaurant what their ports are, and these two stuck out. Rather unique, like the place.

Maybe it's haunted too...
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Hey Mark, good to see ya back with us. I've been meaning to check this place out for some time. It's close to my house so I have no excuse. Maybe sunday I'll venture over there as that will be my only day off for the next two weeks.
Carlos Rodriguez

Post by Carlos Rodriguez »

I recently saw it. It has 1963- Croft, Dow's, Taylor's, Sandeman and Quinta do Noval. The rest also was amazing. At Les Amis Restaurant / Singapore.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Carlos,

Do you remember any of the prices for the 1963s you mention?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Carlos Rodriguez

Post by Carlos Rodriguez »

Roy,

They were between 200 and 400€. I gave you more information in Topic Port in Singapore.
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

Carlos Rodriguez wrote:I recently saw it. It has 1963- Croft, Dow's, Taylor's, Sandeman and Quinta do Noval. The rest also was amazing. At Les Amis Restaurant / Singapore.
Wow! That's quite an impressive array of offerings for one restaurant! Nice! :shock: