May's 2009 VT: Share your notes on Terra Bella (Terra Prima)

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

May's 2009 VT: Share your notes on Terra Bella (Terra Prima)

Post by Frederick Blais »

After reading May's news letter, it built more interest about testing that product. Knowing that know it is widely distributed in USA, I thought it would be a good idea to see what our panel of expert thinks of this Port. Does organic farming makes a change in the flavour profile, balance, purity of the Port.

One way to find out, lets try it!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Eric Menchen

Re: May's 2009 VT : Share your notes on Terra Prima

Post by Eric Menchen »

Do you mean the Fonseca Terra Bella? I too would like to try that. I checked my two main local merchants and neither had it, yet. It is available online from many sources on this side of the pond, however.
Frederick Blais

Re: May's 2009 VT : Share your notes on Terra Prima

Eric Menchen wrote:Do you mean the Fonseca Terra Bella? I too would like to try that. I checked my two main local merchants and neither had it, yet. It is available online from many sources on this side of the pond, however.
Yes yes, interesting in Quebec its Terra Prima :)
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: May's 2009 VT: Share your notes on Terra Bella (Terra Prima)

Post by Andy Velebil »

Fred,
I edited your title as the majority of countries it's sold as Terra Bella and most will recognize it as such.

I'll dig out my TN from 2006 on this. It was an early example of it and the only time I've had it. I do remember it was quite decent. Now where are those notes.....
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Andy, thanks! In the mean time I'll try to know, why, as a marketing point of view they used 2 different brand for the same product in different market.
Frederick Blais

I did open my bottle tonight. I was not sure about what to expect as it was the first time I try this. It is priced at 27$can which makes him part of the high end LBV price and comparing this product to LBV is not a bad idea.

My expectation about this product was purity and balance, both of which I found in this bottle. The nose was bursting flavours of licorice and black cherries, the palate is sharp and fleshy at the same time, medium body, finely grained tannins that gives that bitter chocolate texture and flavours, the finish is back again on cherries and licorice, average lenght. The balance is great while maybe a little too much acidity if one wants to complain. I really did enjoy this bottle and I'd take it over many LBVs on the market, flavours are attractive and authentic. 15.5-16/20
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Opened a bottle of Terre Prima last night .
Ruby red colour .
Hint of licorice .
I get a grainy sensation on the tongue .
The finish isn't long .
The body is light to medium .
14.5 / 20
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Interesting reading the different opinions on this fairly new wine. A good choice by Frederick for a VT selection this month. Given how inexpensive it is, I am a bit surprised that more people did not purchase a bottle to try. Thanks Frederick!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I have one on order from the local QFC... hopefully it will get here while it's still May! :lol:
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

If I could have picked one up locally, I would have. But I didn't have an order in with anyone that was carrying it. And now I'm saving up for the next FTLOP buying opPORTunity. I still hope to try it some time.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I thought I had notes on this one, but the only entry I could find was from 2006 where I simply wrote "Quite good 88 points." :oops: It's not sold anywhere near me or at any retailer I've recently done business with, so looks like I am missing a VT this month :(
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Glenn E. wrote:I have one on order from the local QFC... hopefully it will get here while it's still May! :lol:
Success! It arrived today, so I will open it this weekend. :D
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

I couldn't wait until tonight, so I opened the bottle for lunch.

NV Fonseca Terra Bella (Organic) Reserve
$21.99 at QFC, which doesn't typically have the best prices. I'd guess $19.99 would be a more normal price at a wine store.

It's a very dark red in the glass, with just enough blue in it to give the impenetrable center a purple tone. But near the edges it's clearly a deep red.

Right out of the bottle it was very hot on the nose, almost to the exclusion of any other aromas. But it rapidly settled down and while there's still quite a bit of alcohol evident, it is nicely integrated. There's almost a perfume-like note to the alcohol, too; it's not a rubbing alcohol kind of scent. I detect a bit of blackberry and something redder... possibly boysenberry... and then also some red raspberry.

The dominant flavor in the mouth for me is blackberry. It tries very hard to be rich and luscious, but there's enough alcohol present that it can't quite make it that far. It's not hot, though, just enough to make the fruits seem spicy instead of rich. There are sufficient tannins to provide plenty of grip, but not so much that you feel like scouring your tongue to get them off. If I search for it, I can find that typical hint of chocolate, but I really have to be looking for it unlike some Ports that scream it from first taste.

The finish starts with gobs of fruit with a little heat, and fades evenly for 10-15 seconds. After another 10-15 seconds I get a bit of an after-effect that's biting or bitter.

I'd say this is a great success - it's as good as some LBVs that I have tasted, and I prefer it to Graham's Six Grapes (which I typically find a little too tannic). It's not quite as boistrously fruity as the Graham's, but for some people that might be a good thing.
Glenn Elliott