Cork Warning - list 'em here

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mark DaSilva
Location: Mission Viejo, California, United States of America - USA

Cork Warning - list 'em here

Post by Mark DaSilva »

Dow's Quinta de Bomfim Vintage 1996.

Fragile cork. Tried to remove it slowly, it simply breaks apart. And this is the second time with this bottle. A must for port tongs.

Maybe there should be a list here to let others know of corks that are a pain to open. I've pushed corks through, but haven't had many that crumbled worse than the Orlando Magic (timely). Not happy.

So, what corks have been a nuisance to you? What was the result? How did you remedy the situation?
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Cork Warning - list 'em here

Post by Roy Hersh »

If I were to whine, it would not be corks that were hard to remove ... as I almost never have that issue ... but either TCA "corked" bottles that happen often -- like Cockburn's 1983 Vintage Port. OR the other issue I get :devil: over is when they have those rubberized capsules like on some of the 1966 bottlings. That is a SERIOUS pain in the neck.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Re: Cork Warning - list 'em here

Post by Moses Botbol »

I don't care if the cork if frozen or brittle, just whether it's TCA'd or some other flaw...
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars