June 2009 VT: Open a bottle you never tried before

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

June 2009 VT: Open a bottle you never tried before

Post by Frederick Blais »

Starting this a little early as I will be out of internet for the next week or so.

Make a little effort to either find a bottle or Port in your cellar or on your local wine shop shelves that you have never tried. Share with us your thoughts on the wine and why did you wait for so long before tasting that wine :)
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Al B.

Re: June 2009 VT: Open a bottle you never tried before

Post by Al B. »

A port I've never tried before, but which I thought might be an interesting start for the virtual offline:

Quinta dos Canais 2007 cask sample
Deep crimson in colour. Nose is elegant and floral, with lovely blackcurrants. Texture is a little thin, but the flavours and tannins are very well balanced with the tannins gripping the mouth like a gently perfumed vice. The aftertaste and length are modest, reminding of the old fashioned sherbet-lemon sweets. Pleasing and balanced; made in an elegant style. 86-88.
Last edited by Al B. on Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I don't believe I have ever had the 30 year old Tawny by Niepoort before.

Glenn and I were visiting a friend of mine's home and after all the guests left, Andrew opened this bottle. It is a very solid bottling and right up there with some of the best 30 year olds. It is not one easily found in the USA and this particular bottle came from 1987. Possibly the oldest bottle aged Tawny with an indication of age, I've ever had, considering 22 years is not something that is typical. It was still fresh and I enjoyed it a ton. A more formal note will be forthcoming, but I did want to include mention of this one here, as it is certainly very memorable and the Niepoort was a delicious and unique experience.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I think this is such a fun theme and I am scratching my head in wondering why others have not participated this month.

Frederick, thanks anyway and please know that your work is appreciated by at least some of us! :scholar:

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Hey, the month isn't over yet! I'm always late to these VTs. :wink:

I have had a lot of never-tried-before Ports this month, including the Niepoort 30-yr Old that Roy posted. Also three new 2007s. Tasting notes on all are in the TN forum.

However, since my original suggestion for this VT was a bottle from your cellar that you've never tried, I still have to open one! My folks are coming in to town this weekend, so I'll be opening something to share with them. Going back to my Memorial Day poll, I'll probably open a 1997 Niepoort or a 1994 Broadbent.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

40 Year Old Tawny Port by Kopke

Post by Andy Velebil »

Opps forgot to post this here. Although I've had lots of Kopke Port's I can't recall ever having their 40 year old tawny until this bottle. Full discussion HERE

40 Year Old Tawny Port by Kopke[/url]

Bottled in 2007
Well after a nice bottle of 2007 Kopke Branco Douro, I figured a Kopke 40 year old tawny would be a nice way to finish off the evening. A complex nose of orange rinds, mahogony, vanilla, and licorice bring forth the first indication of what is to come. Some 40 Year Old Tawny's can come off being a bit tired on the palate, lacking a bit of freshness. This one is surely not one of them. Along with maple, vanilla, and chestnut, whisps of cinnamon come alive and fill the back of the mouth just as the finish starts to takes over, and what a finish it is. While the complexity is still vibrantly taking over the palate the finish starts to kick in, in full over drive. It envelopes the whole throat and the maple and cinnamon take center stage, lasting what seems like minutes. I tend to prefer 30 Year Old Tawny's over 40 Year Old's, but this is an exception for sure. The combination of freshness, complexity, and finish this retains is quite amazing. 96 points
06/15/09
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I'm stuck with the flu atm, yeah in late June :?

I did look in my cellar and I think I have tasted already once, all those that I have.... Looks like its time to get something from the SAQ and let it sit a few minutes in my cellar.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Frederick Blais wrote:I'm stuck with the flu atm, yeah in late June :?
Hope you feel better. I had the flu not quite 2 weeks ago. Summer flu's are never good, I'm just glad it's over now.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

1983 Graham's

Post by Eric Menchen »

Inspired by Andy, this night I'm doing pizza and Port, but not quite together. I just decanted a half bottle of 1983 Graham's. The question now is, can I resist drinking it for my planned two hour decant time? Even two hours isn't a great plan, but I just got home from work and decided that was the most I could resist.

D+0: First whiff was really jammy with lots of cassis, then sweet berry. There is just a hint of mustiness. Me likey.

D+2.5 hours: The color is a deep ruby with only the slightest hint of bricking on the rim. There is some VA in the nose, with a cherry Sucrets aroma. I preferred the aroma when I first decanted, and wonder now if I should have taken a sip then. In the mouth, there is even more cherry Sucrets. The first sip was too hot, but the second and subsequent ones were better. There is some dried leaf flavor as well. It seems somewhere in between eucalyptus and bay leaf, and while I recognize the aroma of these, I haven't tasted them, so I can't figure out which it is more like. (Note to self: Suck on some leaves some time.) The body is medium, and sticky sweet. Finish is also medium. There is not much tannin here, but decent acid.

If I were to hazard a guess for a score, I'd say 88 points. I liked this better than the first 1985 Graham's I tasted, but not as much as the second 1985. So for a 1983, I guess that's pretty good.

D+12: Aroma has mellowed and is more pleasant. However, one whiff showed a hint that this wine might not last too long, so I'm pouring it back into the rinsed bottle and putting on the vacu-vin. I'll taste again this evening.

Complete TN thread is here.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

1997 Niepoort

Post by Glenn E. »

I opened this bottle at 8:00 pm... yeah, I know, a little late for drinking tonight right? Nope. Pop 'n' pour worked out nicely.

1997 Niepoort Vintage Port
Decanted and served immediately at 8:00 pm on 6/27/2009
The cork was quite long, but nearly soaked through. One small section appeared to have soaked all the way to the top, which is probably the reason for the very slight signs of seepage.
A fair amount of sediment for a 12-yr old Port, but it was easily held back in the last 2 or so ounces in the bottle.

Color: while being decanted, a deep garnet with some brick red-like tones. No brown/tawny, though, so not the "bad" bricking. In the glass it takes on a more purple hue, though it is still more red near the rim.
Nose: floral notes and aromatic alcohol lead off, followed by ripe red raspberries, blackberries, some dusty minerals, and a hint of smoke.
Palate: that same floral note becomes a flavor, followed by strong blackberries and ripe strawberries. A hint of mocha follows, then rich heat and smooth but firm tannins round out the experience.
Finish: more heat, more blackberries, some coffee (or possibly smoke), and eventually some grape skin. The finish is long and smooth.

This is difficult to score since I've been drinking so many 2007 cask samples lately, but it is clear to me that it is very good. The heat in this case is a plus because it is so rich and gentle. The fruit is quite strong but not overpowering. The tannins are firm but also not overpowering. I'll call it 95 points. Don't drink now even though it is very good as-is. Give it another 10 years before re-testing.
Glenn Elliott