My Douro Trip, June 2009

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

My Douro Trip, June 2009

Post by Andy Velebil »

Well for the first time I ventured to Portugal without Roy, shh don't tell him :wink: A small group of us Port friends went and it was a stunning time. There will be a nice full write up with tasting notes in the future, but it will take some time to write up tasting notes and all the activities that went on. Here are some highlights.

the first "mile high" offline at 38,000 feet.

The first midnight offline

A fun time staying and tasting at Passadouro

Macedos...a producer to watch out for as Paul is doing some great things there for dry wines.

Even though I missed part of the tasting, Quinta d. Vale Dona Maria with Sandra Tavares was quite fun. Then the boat ride on the Douro with Sandra, Cristiano Van Zeller, and Miguel Roquette (Crasto) for over 2 hours was incredible. So was Julian swimming in the Douro.

A fantastic visit to Sandeman's Quinta do Seixo with George Sandeman then lunch and a tasting of old Sandeman Ports with George Sandeman at Quinta do Porto. Quinta do Porto is so beautiful.

A visit to Quinta S. Luiz and then being able to stay the night there was an awesome experience to see what life is like at a quinta that is "traditional" in the sense it isn't open for tourists and hasn't been remodeled for modern conveinces, but experiencing life the way workers would have 50 years ago was a once in a lifetime experience. Carla T. was a great hostess. Plus thanks to Carla I found a really cool restaurant in Regua down a small side street that is really really good.

How do rate a tasting that has 36 bottles sitting on the table when you walk in, PRICELESS!!! A complete vertical of all the Symington Vintage Ports from 1970 and 2007 at the Graham's Lodge. Plus 19 component samples from the 2007 Vintage Ports that were used to make the final blends...VERY educational! Many thanks to Dominic Symington for this! and for Gustavo who came in on his day off to help lead the tasting and keep us in line.

The first train pizza and Port offline :thumbsup:

An amazing visit, tasting, and lunch at Quinta do Crasto with Miguel Roquette. BTW, their 2008 Crasto Douro DOC that will be released later this year is a winner! hint hint :lol:

A remarkable tasting, dinner, and overnight stay at Quinta do Noval with Christian Seely and Rute M. that included the 1896 Dow's, 1931 Quinta do Noval, 1963 Quinta do Noval Nacional, 1945 Taylors (sadly a bad bottle), 1948 Fonseca, 1967 Quinta do Noval Nacional, 1927 Taylor (which the cork said 1927 Croft, opps), 1955 Graham's, and many others. Not to mention the spectacular 2004 Quinta do Noval Touriga Nacional Douro dry wine :yumyum:

It was a great time shared with some great friends.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: My Douro Trip, June 2009

Post by Roy Hersh »

This by itself was a great read and I am very pleased you all had so much fun! :winepour:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thanks Roy.

The only bad part is the last day when you head to the airport, everyone is so sad that it has come to an end. But now I am looking forward to the Harvest Trip in October....I can't wait to go back :!: :!: :D
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Nice trip Andy,

I hope you'll write something on how good the pairing of Pizza and Port. :twisted:
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Sounds like a great trip.
How's the weather.
Heat wave here. :D
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

The weather was much cooler than normal with high humidity and we got a little rain on several days, which is not normal for this time of year. Usually it's getting really hot by now. Then on our last day it really started to heat up again. I was greatful for the cooler weather as it made hiking around the Douro much easier, even with the high humidity.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Andy,

What can you tell us about the growing season for 2009, at least the past six weeks ... I'd be interested in what you learned.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Andy,

What can you tell us about the growing season for 2009, at least the past six weeks ... I'd be interested in what you learned.
As you know, It's really to early to say as anything could happen between now and the harvest. But, I got very conflicting reports; some saying it's not going to be a good year and others saying it looks like it could be a very good year if the weather continues to cooperate. From what I saw and heard, it got off to a slightly slow start and it's very possible this year harvest will possibly start a couple of weeks later than normal. Recently things seem to be progressing fairly nicely with the grapes getting ready to start turning red in the next 2-3 weeks. Of course that also depends on cooperation of the weather. The rain this past week, when I was there, was mostly light showers that would blow through an area rather quickly. For example, last Monday at Quinta do Crasto there was a light rain that came through at mid-day for about 30-40 minutes, then it left and the sun appeared and was a nice day. Of course everything dried out very quickly as the strong sun took care of that. Yet up river another quinta never got touched by those same rain clouds. I did see a lot of spraying to prevent odium in the region as a whole. As a repetitive cycle of rain, sun, rain, sun, with high humidity is a good growing environment for it. So it appeared people were being cautious, as they should.

As for overall this year, I would surmise based on the conflicting accounts it really depends on Quinta location and if mother nature cooperates to the fullest now until harvest. But that is no different than any other year. Like I said it's way to early to predict but I will be following it closely to see how things progress.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Frederick Blais wrote:Nice trip Andy,

I hope you'll write something on how good the pairing of Pizza and Port. :twisted:
I can say pepperoni pizza and a nice 2007 Dow VP goes splended together, two thumbs up on this one :yumyum:
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

This was indeed a fantastic trip and it was great to see Andy again and visit some fabulous quintas together. Quinta do Porto was truely spectacular and is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful quintas in the Douro. Noval was what Noval is - simply one of my favourite places to be on this earth.

A big thanks to all who helped with the organisation and door opening - a real team effort and a trip to remember for a very long time.

Finally, whilst I can't argue with Andy's pairing of Dow 2007 and Pepperoni Pizza, you should not dismiss the combination of Smith Woodhouse 1970 and a Hawaiian with extra cheese :devil: :lol:

Derek
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek T. wrote: Finally, whilst I can't argue with Andy's pairing of Dow 2007 and Pepperoni Pizza, you should not dismiss the combination of Smith Woodhouse 1970 and a Hawaiian with extra cheese :devil: :lol:

Derek
Nor the Warres 1970 :yumyum:
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Oh no, I can see where this is going. What would you pair with a white (sauce) clam pizza?
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Menchen wrote:Oh no, I can see where this is going. What would you pair with a white (sauce) clam pizza?
I'm betting the Niepoort 10-yr old White would pair with that quite nicely. :wink:
Glenn Elliott
oscarquevedo

Post by oscarquevedo »

Andy,

It was a big pleasure to all of us here in Quevedo to have you visiting our vineyards and cellar. Next time I'll make sure you blind taste some other Ports!!!

Regarding Roy's question for you about the growing season, I cannot resist: this year the weather has been relatively humid, raining almost every two weeks, with some cold nights. This can be a very interesting year for southern exposed vineyards, which reach higher temperatures (when compared with northern/western exposition) during the day and can get very good ripening with good acidity. In hotter years with lower rain intensity, Ports from southern exposed vineyards use to suffer due to the lack of acidity.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:Oh no, I can see where this is going. What would you pair with a white (sauce) clam pizza?
2007 Quarles Harris VP :wink: Glenn is probably right, a nice slightly aged white Port would probably be nice with it.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

oscarquevedo wrote:Andy,

It was a big pleasure to all of us here in Quevedo to have you visiting our vineyards and cellar. Next time I'll make sure you blind taste some other Ports!!!

Regarding Roy's question for you about the growing season, I cannot resist: this year the weather has been relatively humid, raining almost every two weeks, with some cold nights. This can be a very interesting year for southern exposed vineyards, which reach higher temperatures (when compared with northern/western exposition) during the day and can get very good ripening with good acidity. In hotter years with lower rain intensity, Ports from southern exposed vineyards use to suffer due to the lack of acidity.
More blind Quevedo tastings...I like, they are an eye opening thats for sure. :scholar:

Thanks for the weather update, it's nice to get it from someone that is there everyday. Also about how it affects vines facing in different directions, which most people don't realize can make a big difference. It was very humid when we were there and for the first time in my travels there it seemed like I could never get ahead with my water consumption.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy Velebil wrote: It was very humid when we were there and for the first time in my travels there it seemed like I could never get ahead with my water consumption.
That is a very difficult thing to do when drinking as much alcohol as we were :help: :lol:
michael miller

Post by michael miller »

Sounds like a great trip. Although, how much time off the bike? :(

Michael
Michael Miller
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

michael miller wrote:Sounds like a great trip. Although, how much time off the bike? :(

Michael
I was hurting for a few days when I got back. Now the legs are back to their usual hammering. And in all reality I had planned my training schedule so that it was an "off week" anyways, that way I wouldn't lose much fitness and it gave the body a chance to rest...well at least from cycling anyways :drunk:
michael miller

Post by michael miller »

We are going to a resort in N. Hampshire in a couple of weeks. Lots of drinks and golf. Will take about 8 days off, I am stressing over it. But we have a good time. No much port there, unfortunately.

Michael
Michael Miller