FTLOP 4th ANNIVERSARY PORT PARTY

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

FTLOP 4th ANNIVERSARY PORT PARTY

Post by Roy Hersh »

Four years ago Wednesday, FTLOP came into being. The "official" online presence, both the website and Forum were turned on.

We've rarely looked back except with a nostalgic view, to see the humble beginnings of the community which has continued to grow and prosper and we only have YOU to thank. :thanks:

I hope that you will all open a special bottle of Port this week; host a Port-athon; get together with friends or other :ftlop: members and share a great bottle or three! [friends.gif]

In the spirit, I will be putting on a Port tasting for a dozen local restaurant Sommeliers on Wednesday morning to do my part to share some extraordinary Ports with these ladies and gentlemen. [cheers.gif]

Not content with celebrating with mere strangers, I have invited 7 guests ... most from :ftlop: to come over on Thursday night to celebrate in Port style. 8 men ... beginning with 8 bottles of Port. We'll see how things progress but the lineup is impressive.

If I can ask one favor? [beg.gif]

Please feel free to post in this thread, but should you choose to partake in the festivities ... opening something special ... PLEASE POST YOUR PORT TASTING NOTE IN THE APPROPRIATE PLACE.

Whether you are [imnewhere.gif] or an old seasoned :ftlop: veteran ... I would like to thank you for your participation and adding to the progressive "Collective Port Wisdom."

That goes for you lurkers too! [welcome.gif]

:winepour: :winepour: [dance2.gif] :winepour: :winepour: [cheers.gif] :winepour: :winepour:

Drink responsibly! :scholar:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: FTLOP 4th ANNIVERSARY PORT PARTY

Post by Roy Hersh »

This morning's lineup in an educational tasting, presented for a group of local Sommeliers:

10 year old Tawny - KOPKE
10 year old Tawny - INFANTADO

20 year old Tawny - GRAHAM
20 year old Tawny - KOPKE

1968 Colheita - QUEVEDO
1968 Colheita - KOPKE

2000 LBV - INFANTADO
2000 VP - INFANTADO

1985 VP - DOW
2007 VP - QUEVEDO
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Waiting for the TNs, particularly on those 1968s. :wink:
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Fun lineup!

The best part is that I think I understand the reason for each pairing! Woo! I'm learning! :wink:
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Last night the P8 had to change venues late in the game. It was another scorcher over 100 degrees and even though it felt much cooler than the 104 the previous day (avg. temp this time of year is 77) we all decided to follow Glenn's suggestion and head to a local hotel where Glenn had arranged for a Boardroom for the night. The air-conditioning was worth the price of admission and with some fun snacks of "rollups" and cheese etc, we had a stellar lineup, with two flights of four bottles:

Flight 1: A smattering of Colheita Port

1937 Warre Colheita
1963 Niepoort Colheita
1966 Rocha Colheita
1968 Quevedo Colheita

Flight 2: Young Vintage Ports

1963 Croft Vintage Port
1963 Warre Vintage Port
1966 Dow Vintage Port
1967 Quinta do Noval Nacional Vintage Port

I had done my best to keep our guest of honor a surprise. Oscar Quevedo has been here since Tuesday and last night the local gang got to meet him and try one of his finest Ports. We also toasted to Stewart, recently back from his honeymoon and also to FTLOP for four years of Collective Port Wisdom. I am sure there will be tasting notes to follow. A great time was had by all and that a/c really changed our moods.

Good times, great Ports and camaraderie! [cheers.gif]
oscarquevedo

Post by oscarquevedo »

Great time I had with the folks from Washington. I loved the Warre 1937 and had the pleasure to taste my first Nacional. What a baby....
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Oscar,

Can you please put a link here to your BLOG piece on this event?

I think it was a fun read. [notworthy.gif]
oscarquevedo

Post by oscarquevedo »

Here is the link http://quevedoportwine.com/wine/some-gr ... mericanos/ with some photos of the tasing.

I wait for your comments :salute:
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Oscar,
NIce pics and keep up the good work on the blog....if only more would follow your lead.

Boy it must have been hot there, look at all those pasty white legs in shorts :wink: :mrgreen: :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Great pictures, Oscar!
Glenn Elliott