September 2009 VT: Share TN on Malvedos VP

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

September 2009 VT: Share TN on Malvedos VP

Post by Frederick Blais »

For this September, we're back in force with a VP tasting to support the harvest in the Douro :)

Share your thoughts and experience on this Port. I'll probably crack a 1995.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: September 2009 VT: Share TN on Malvedos VP

Post by Roy Hersh »

Since Frederick is going to do the 1995, I've chosen the next year 1996 Malvedos and stood up the bottle 5 minutes ago for tomorrow night. I am not sure if I will actually get to drink this as time is the real issue. Hopefully, there will be some mercy and I will at least get to enjoy more than 15 minutes of my weekend. [beg.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I have a 1992 on the way! Should arrive later this week, then will need a week to settle down from shipping, so I probably won't get it open until the 19th or 20th.
Glenn Elliott
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I did pop the 1995 this week. I was impressed!! I had this wine before on a couple of occasions but probably not in the last 5 years. My impressions left were that it would probably an early maturer.

Uppon opening, alcohol was noticeable, it nicely went away after 3 hours in the decanter. The wine is deeply colored, no noticeable rim of color fading, though the purplish color is gone. Nose bursting of licorice, sweet plums and dark cherries, very attractive and sweet. If the nose was sweet, the palate was dryer for a Graham's, tannins are fine and thight, I like the texture they give as they add to the density and concentration of this Port, flavours from the nose are found up to mid-palate as the finish brings some well integrated hot and spicy flavours of pepper and laurel leaves, a tad short. 17/20

This Port is not ready to be consume, it is still adorning all the fruity flavours of a young Port, tannins are not close to be integrated yet, I'd revisit in 8-10 years ... it was my last bottle paid 43$(yes there was a time SAQ was selling Ports at decent prices.) If it only had more lenght, this Port would have get more points. Worth seeking though if you get a good price on it.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I have two Malvedos on hand, one of which I will review this month.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Hmm, what a conincidence... My local Port haunt just got in the 96 Malvedos (again) and I am back in the saddle here. I'll open up the 96 soon even if Roy doesn't have time!

Todd
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

My '92 arrived yesterday. I'll give it a week to settle down from shipping and open it next weekend!
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Is 1990 a Malvedos? I think I have that one and perhaps 1982. Which one should I open?
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

It looks like we have a lot of the 90's covered, so the 1982 might be fun for contrast. Something a little older, at least. :wink:
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

If travels, shipping, and planets align, I'll have a 1995 to open. I also have a 1965, but that's earmarked for a birthday celebration.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Moses Botbol wrote:Is 1990 a Malvedos? I think I have that one and perhaps 1982. Which one should I open?
Correction

I have 1990 and 1986 in Boston. I'll open the '86 right now. TN's to follow!
Moses Botbol

1986 Graham's Malvedos

Post by Moses Botbol »

Initial pop and pour: really dark, slight silt after double cheesecloth. Viscous, hints of fresh figs, licorice, and baked apple. Slightly acidic and sweet up front. Excited to try this again later on…

3 hours later. More complex on the nose with a slight hint of grape. The licorice notes I noticed initially that are not as present now. Much softer in texture and taste now. Still really dark in color. Elys thought it was jammy and warm. This is a soft port.

89 Point

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

1990 Graham's Quinta dos Malvedos Vintage Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

From a .375ml bottle

As it is the only bottle of Malvedos I have at the house at the moment, the rest are in storage. I opened this bottle not only for this months virtual tasting, but as a toast to the new Malvedos blog the Symington's have started for this years harvest. To my recollection, I've never tried this vintage of Malvedos before and it is the only bottle of it I own. The color has now turned to a medium rust color that is more like a 10 year tawny. Lovely amounts of orange rinds and mahogany dominate the nose and also bear more resemblance to an aged tawny than a VP. However, on the palate there are still some cherries that give way to oranges and licorise and lots of acidity. This bottle may be past its prime, but it is still very nice one and the long finish completes the package. Actually the finish is very long and lingers in the mouth for several minutes. While this appears to be a nicely stored ex-cellars bottle; from the new label, capsule, and perfect cork, I fear this half bottle has passed its prime. I need to find a full bottle of this to see if this is somewhat representative of this vintage.
89 points
09/23/09
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

My 1992 is standing up in preparation for decanting this weekend! (Last weekend ended up being a bit hectic, so wasn't suitable for opening a bottle.)
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Decanted at 5:30 and tasted throughout the evening. It's now at D+6.5 hours.

1992 Graham's Quinta dos Malvedos Vintage Port
Color: Quite dark for its age, but starting to show some red. Burgundy might be a better description of the red. There was considerable sediment in the bottle, but I must have managed to decant properly because the Port in the glass and decanter is crystal clear around the edges. It's still very opaque in the center of the glass.
Nose: Starts out with an earthy fruitiness that almost resembles fermenting grapes, which is then followed by a light and fragrant alcohol. I get mostly ripe red and purple fruits but with that earthy note still present. Almost like the ripe fruits are dusty and damp.
Palate: Sweet and fruity, medium bodied, and with just enough tartness in the mid palate to make you keep coming back for another sip. There's a very slight green note that kicks in during the late palate right after the tartness. The tannins are pleasant and the acidity is crisp.
Finish: Starts out a bit bitter, but that fades out and is replaced by some nice, bright, tart grapes. Like a sour cherry flavor, but grape instead of cherry. Possibly pomegranate. There's a decent amount of heat, but it's not at all what I'd call hot. The finish is very long and is more pleasant later than earlier.

Overall this Malvedos gives a very pleasant taste and feel in the mouth. It seems to be a little brighter and fresher than a standard Graham's VP, but it is still on the sweeter side and at least to me is recognizable (after the fact) as Graham's style.

92 points for the '92, with room to improve as it continues to age. Not that very many of these would get a chance to age around me, because it's drinking very nicely right now. [cheers.gif]
Glenn Elliott