Jocky Port

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Al B.

Jocky Port

Post by Al B. »

I have the opportunity to buy a bottle of old tawny port shipped by a company called Jocky. I know nothing about this shipper or the quality of the wines that are in this name.

Can anyone help me? Also, this tawny port is vintage dated but was bottled many (60+) years ago. Any idea or experience with ports of this type?

Many thanks,

Alex
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I can not help with your Jockey shorts or is that Port, but I have had my share of old bottlings of Colheita. I have tried those that have aged in the bottle and those that did not. Although the Colheitas with a sediment obviously are going to improve in the bottle, I have never had a dead bottle of Colheita that had been fined and filtered. I think you will enjoy it. I assume by the name it was a UK bottling and probably for some special club (horse track?). I know of Priest Ports but not the Jocky type.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

From the little that I have learned, Jocky was a shipper mainly seen in Belgium and active in the port industry in the late 1800's. I have been told of a 1937 Jocky Colheita and that seems to be the most recent vintage wine shipped under this name.

But I can't find any reference to the shipper in my limited port library and wondered if anyone else knew of the shipper.

Alex
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

I can't provide any additional info either, Alex. I came across a bottle of Jocky 1898 (Vintage? Colheita? No idea) in an auction catalogue once, but did not see the bottle.
Burmester makes a Jockey Club Reserve Tawny...perhaps it is related? Just a guess, but you could try to contact them with a request for more information through http://www.burmester.pt