1975 Smith Woodhouse Vintage Port

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

jon bricken
Location: ridgefield, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

1975 Smith Woodhouse Vintage Port

Post by jon bricken »

This is the second 1975 which we has tried in the last few months (Sandman the other). I used the Roy method of long decanting 12 hrs. Very little sediment. Then I tried a little sip. Very light crandberry color and almost no legs in the glass. A heavy smell of alcohol which overwhelmed any of the fruit. In the mouth, very sweet then the taste of alcohol/heat, then a mass of cherries. About three hours later I tasted again. The alcohol is still there in force making the wine a little hot but now the sweetness fades to toffee or marzipan. I served it with two soft blue cheeses and apples for desert. It was enjoyed by the crowd but I found the alcohol/heat never really receded. The wine acted much like the Sandman except the heat never faded and I found it less satisfing that the Sandman. All in all not a bad wine but if you have any drink up as I don't think it will get any better from here. 86pts.