1983 Offley Boa Vista Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Tom Archer

1983 Offley Boa Vista Vintage Port

Post by Tom Archer »

From a case bought at Christies in January. Checking the levels (all very good) I noticed that some bottles had darker glass than others - curious!

Removing the capsule from my selected bottle, I found the cork recessed by about 6mm - unusual..

Decanted 11.50 - came cleanly off its sediment. In the decanter, very dark for its age.

First sip - no bottle stink - violets on the palate. This is very much like Taylors - promising - more anon

Tom
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

8pm and time for a glass proper.

A dark ruby in the glass with only the slightest hint of tawny at the edge.

Bouquet rather lacking - I remember this trait from the '83 Fonseca

On the palate this is lighter than it looks - tannins still very evident.

Very quaffable and smooth. Similar to Taylor's in style, although the violets I noticed on the first sip are not so apparent now.

Some commentators mark down Offley as a "short haul" port, but this is coming over as a wine that probably has a little way to go before it peaks, with enough substance to last another generation.

Very acceptable and very good value for money - one for my birthday party guests in May!

Tom
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Two days on and this wine has been getting better and better - smoother - more integrated - more class!

Coming towards the end of the decanter now - making a note to leave future bottles for at least 24hrs in decanter before touching them!

Tom