1998 Cockburn LBV Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Tom Archer

1998 Cockburn LBV Port

Post by Tom Archer »

Though widely listed in the USA, this is a rarity in the UK, although some other years are listed by merchants, including Tesco.

The bottle was originally supplied by Cockburn for the Decanter wine awards. Those bottles that were surplus to requirements were put into a charity auction - which is how I came by it.

The bottle is stoppered, so I assume filtered, so I have not decanted.

In the glass a very full and elegant ruby with a salmon pink edge. Bouquet light, fruity but a little spiritous.

Compared to Cockburn's Special Reserve (which I think is the UK market leader?) the wine is quite viscous.

On the palate it comes through as smooth, rich and agreeable, but without dominant flavours. Finish is a little hot.

Overall very respectable for an affordable Port.

If Cockburn still have stocks they should save some for the UK market :?

Tom
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

Thanks for the note Tom. We, and I, have had many a TN pass through with no replies. We should work on that, Uncle Roy :wink:
That said, I have not seen this Cockburn 98 LBV in our market but I will keep a look out for it.
98 is my 2d son's birth year and while I have some Taylor , Fonseca, and Graham's single quintas, not much of a port year. So looking for and finding the Cockburn's 98 LBV would help his collection.
He has done quite well in the 1st growth clarets. :D
Richard Henderson