Next London Offline - A Vesuvio Vertical

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

dlester

Re: Next London Offline - A Vesuvio Vertical

Post by dlester »

bridgema wrote:The date for the next London Offline has now been set. It will take place in the evening of Monday May 8, starting at 5pm and running on to approximately 10pm. The venue will be in Central London, probably at the Crusted Pipe in Covent Garden.

The theme will be A Complete Tasting of All 13 Vintages of Vesuvio 1989 to 2003.

This event again coincides with Roy's travel plans as he returns home from Portugal, so he will be joining us (barring unforseen circumstances).

The cost will be approximately £110 per person, which will INCLUDE the wine and a three course buffet meal.

If anyone is interested in attending, please let me know either by reply here, private message or by dropping me an email.
Alex,

I am fairly confident that I can make this; can you please sign me up.

Thanks,

David Lester.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

David - thanks for the reply. You're on the list, as you will see below.

For Roy's benefit, the confirmed attendees and waiting list are as follows:

Confirmed
Roy Hersh
Alex Bridgeman
Derek Turnbull
Jo (whose surname I have forgotten - sorry Jo :oops: )
Christopher Gee
Nicos Neocleous
Tom Archer
Justin Willot
David Lester
Ben Campbell-Johnston

Hoping to be able to make it and will know nearer the time
Mario Ferreira
Nick Alabaster
Linden Wilkie

The 10 people who have confirmed are enough to make it worth organising the tasting. I reckon we could easily accommodate another couple of people nearer the time if someone is able to make it at short notice - always worth dropping me an email and asking.

Alex
Last edited by Al B. on Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
dlester

Post by dlester »

bridgema wrote:David - thanks for the reply. You're on the list, as you will see below.
Alex,

Firstly, thanks for including me in this tasting. I look forward to meeting you all.

Next, although Ben will source our primary bottles, would it be prudent for us to bring spare bottles in case one (or more) of the bottles is corked. We had this situation at last week's Manchester off-line, where by accident one of our attendees had bought a reserve bottle of 1998 Clos des Papes, which was substituted when the original bottle was found to be corked. If so, then I can supply 1994 Vesuvio from my cellar.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

David,

Ben and I are talking about how to manage the issue of reserve bottles in case one turns out to be corked - your point is well made. At the moment, I'm hoping that we'll have tasting bottles from the Quinta and that Ben will also be able to have a reserve bottle on standby in case its needed.

However, if it gets to the stage where your offer of the 1994 needs to become our route of standby, I will be sure to shout. That 1994 is one of the wines that I most certainly don't want to miss out on - it is fabulous.

Alex
NickA

Post by NickA »

Alex,

Actually, I was confirmed to the point as mentioned, Kuwait loomed on the horizon. Now it looks like that week I will indeed be in Kuwait. It would be unfair for me to make someone wait until nearer the time to be sure, so if you put me on the reserves, that would be best.

Cheers
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

There is also a small possibility that we may also be able to taste a wine that will not be available in the UK at the time of the tasting
Intrigue!

Would this be the 2004??

Tom
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I've edited the list of attendees based on comments and responses that I've had back from people.

And there are no promises about any wines being available for tasting other than the ones in my own cellar......but there is always a possibility....(got to keep the intrigue up somehow :wink: )

Alex
Al B.

Message for David Lester

Post by Al B. »

David

I've sent you a Private Message. Please could you pick it up.

Thanks,

Alex