2004 Ramos Pinto Adriano

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Brian C.

2004 Ramos Pinto Adriano

Post by Brian C. »

As mentioned in the what have you bought thread, I bought a bottle of this at Cost Plus World Markets for $12.

The big descriptors for me are floral and tannic. It kind of reminds me of some PNs I've had, but more tannic. There was some sediment in my glass, also. I'm really digging this wine, though, I must say. Some of these Portuguese reds, they just give them away, it seems.

Anybody else ever try this wine before?
Moses Botbol

Re: 2004 Ramos Pinto Adriano

Post by Moses Botbol »

I have tried it several times, but don't know which vintages. One of the most common Douro red's on the shelf. Not really my pick at that price point; there are several other Douros I'd pick at around $12. I remember it as a little thin and tannic.... Ramos' Dua Quinta Reserva is worth the step up big time.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

Moses, remember that stuff is going to be cheaper by you, and there will be a better selection of Douro reds (and ports, of course) by you. It's hard to find stuff here. I almost never see any Douro reds offered in the $30 and up category. It is slim pickings for Portuguese table wines in Chicago. I am excited whenever I see anything legitimate in the $10-20 range. Usually it's stuff marked in that range that should be priced under $10, like Charamba or Pocas. Altano is easy to get, thankfully.

That said, I thought I saw something cool in the Adriano, and I hope I get a chance to step up to a Dua Quinta Reserva, if I can ever find it here and also be able to deal with the inevitable Chicago markup. I can imagine the upgrade will be very nice, given how much I liked the Adriano.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Brian C. wrote:It is slim pickings for Portuguese table wines in Chicago. I am excited whenever I see anything legitimate in the $10-20 range. Usually it's stuff marked in that range that should be priced under $10, like Charamba or Pocas. Altano is easy to get, thankfully.
I buy Charamba Magnums for $12... Altano is one of my favorites for the money bar none. Pocas I am indifferent to. Perhaps the regular Duas Quintas is around the same price of Adriano?

In the under $12 price range, Companhia Das Quintas Douro Cado 2000 is one best I have found more than once.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars