TN: 2006 Quinta do Portal Grande Reserva

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

TN: 2006 Quinta do Portal Grande Reserva

Post by Glenn E. »

This won't be much of a TN because I don't actually drink wine, but my wife opened a bottle of this last night and we both thought it was really exceptional. This was from the Quinta do Portal FTLOP offering last year - my order just arrived this week.

It's very smooth for a red wine (at least to me) with round fruits. It's not sweet, though it may be considered somewhat sweet for a red wine, but it also isn't powerfully bitter like a lot of red wines can be (especially some California cabs).

Now I have to try to hide the other 5 bottles from her so that we can give 'em some age. :lol:
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: TN: 2006 Quinta do Portal Grande Reserva

Post by Roy Hersh »

Congratulations!

That is as close to a TN as we can expect anytime soon on dry wine. What you call sweet, others may perceive as fruit filled or ripe.

So where's the score? :wink:

[bye2.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

LOL... well as you know, I have no basis from which to score a red wine. I just thought this one was so nice that I wanted to at least post some kind of a note and get it some publicity!

I hope lots of people took advantage of the offer, because this really does seem like a great wine to me.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:LOL... well as you know, I have no basis from which to score a red wine. I just thought this one was so nice that I wanted to at least post some kind of a note and get it some publicity!

I hope lots of people took advantage of the offer, because this really does seem like a great wine to me.
99 points for a port is 99 points for a wine [berserker.gif] :wink: [friends.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:99 points for a port is 99 points for a wine [berserker.gif] :wink: [friends.gif]
:beat:
Yeah, but I don't drink red wine so I don't know what a 99 point red wine tastes like! Sheesh, and you guys think my Port ratings are wonky because I like tawnies better than rubies... whattaya think my red wine ratings would look like since I admittedly don't even like the stuff? :lol:

But maybe you should bring one up here next time you visit. You know, so that I'd have a reference point. :wink:
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:. whattaya think my red wine ratings would look like since I admittedly don't even like the stuff? :lol:

But maybe you should bring one up here next time you visit. You know, so that I'd have a reference point. :wink:
Well at least the wine will get 50 points :lol:

Better....when you coming down here. The weather is much better and so are the.... :evil:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com