Another PINK?!?!?!

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Peter W. Meek

Re: Another PINK?!?!?!

Post by Peter W. Meek »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Peter W. Meek wrote: Nowadays, some of the early pink ports were "alcoholic soda pop", and this obscures the ones that really have something to say.
Curious as to which Pink Ports you've had that were "alcoholic soda pop"?
Sorry. I haven't had any pink ports. I should have said so. I was basing that on older comments here and elsewhere.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

I must have missed this, but just what makes it pink? What is the blend of this beverage?
Richard Henderson
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Richard Henderson wrote:I must have missed this, but just what makes it pink? What is the blend of this beverage?
The only major difference is they reduce the time the juice is in contact with the skins so the color stays lighter and there are less tannins extracted from the skins/stems. Otherwise it is basically the same as a Ruby Port.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

That should be okay. I rmemeber having a white port at a tasting many years ago but I don't see it on the shelves either.
Richard Henderson
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I can't hold out any longer. [dash1.gif]

I have been watching this thread with interest but, until now, have not commented.

I will declare now that I have not tasted Pocas Pink, so can't comment on its merits.

I was one of the first of the participants here to taste Pink Port. To be specific, it was the Marks and Spencer (BOB) Pink Port produced by Taylor Fladgate. IMO this was not a good wine, let alone a good port. I was subsequently told that the blend was chosen by the M&S wine "expert" and not Taylor Fladgate. That may or may not be true, but, for my taste, the wine was not good. I kept the bottle for a few weeks and each time I opened it the cork popped out with gas pressure that could have only been coming from the wine.

The next "pink" I tasted was the Croft, at the Taylor lodge on a private tour. The Croft Pink is light years away from the M&S wine in terms of quality, but, for me, still does not taste like port.

I have had Quevedo and Kopke Rose, both of which were good quality wines, but again they did not taste like port to me. I have also tasted the Quevedo Rose just 2 weeks after it was produced from the 2009 vintage. Whilst this isn't particularly relevant to this discussion I think it does give me a basis on which to comment on the general merits of pink/rose port compared to other styles.

Having watched this class of Port develop over the past year or so I will happily admit that the quality is improving. I might even be tempted to admit that this style of wine serves a purpose for the industry in attracing new consumers. But I still question whether or not attracting someone to "drink the pink" will encourage a significant number to venture into drinking and buying significant quantites of "real" port.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek T. wrote: Having watched this class of Port develop over the past year or so I will happily admit that the quality is improving. I might even be tempted to admit that this style of wine serves a purpose for the industry in attracing new consumers.
I'm having a heart-attack, someone call the medics quick [shok.gif] :lol: :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Have an unopened bottle of pink Croft .
Saving It for that special day , you know , when I want to visit a porcelain god [shok.gif]
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Symington Family

Post by Symington Family »

Hello Roy et al...
When TFP launched Croft Pink there wasn't a category for this style of wine and the IVDP authorised it as a "light ruby". Shortly after the successful launch and considering the potential, the Trade agreed to the creation of a new category, Rosé which would cover the Croft Pink rather than as a "light ruby".

It appears that a number of producers contested the TFP "Pink" trademark registration, apparantly prefering this designation to the now official "Rosé" category. I understand they were successful!

Despite some well known comments on this new category I feel it is fair to say that TFP where very creative in developing this new style and although it may not be to everyones personal taste, if it helps to bring more people into trying Port they will hopefully, eventually progress through to the other styles and become regular supporters ... and who know's, eventually contributors to FTLOP!
Dom Symington
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Dom,
Thanks for adding some clarity to the name use and I was unaware the IVDP had finally come up with an official designation for these instead of the Light Ruby designation.
oscarquevedo

Post by oscarquevedo »

Hi Dominique, I look forward to try a Rose from Symington. Any plans when it will come up?
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks Dominic. I appreciate the reality check.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
goncalo devesas

Post by goncalo devesas »

FIRST organic Pink will be launched in a few days by Casal dos Jordoes.