TN: Virtual tasting, Ramos Pinto 10 year old tawny

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

TN: Virtual tasting, Ramos Pinto 10 year old tawny

Post by Frederick Blais »

For those who did not read this topic, go there

http://fortheloveofport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=920

Roy, tell me if the pictures are too big, I'll reduce them. I find interesting that people can see the product, because they'll recognize it on the shelves.

Hope there will be much interest and participation!

Last edited by Frederick Blais on Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Frederick Blais

Here is my TN

Deep amber with a hint of pink, this Tawny exhibits a very nice and fresh amoratic palette. Complex aromas of nut meg, I love that, crème caramel, cinamon and dried fruits like raisin and figs. Mouth is rich, onctuosity strikes at the first sip. Velvety texture, the sugar is taking over the acidity making it a bit heavy, but I like that. Good midpalate, intense flavors of caramel, dried nuts and sweet dried figs. The finale is lingering on creme caramel and cinamon flavor and the acidity makes a good presence here to make the finale go on and on. Solid 17/20

I was really impressed by this 10 yr Tawny. Every time I've tasted it in wine fair, I had good impression but it was never enough to put it in my top 3 10 yr tawny. Now I'll probably have to make him some place with Noval and Niepoort.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alright, I found this yesterday at a most unlikely corner liquor store in Pasadena. It was $30.00 (US). A friend, who is new to ports, is over and I will list his impressions...always good to get an unbiased opinion from someone new to ports...

To steal Roy's term, Fred is "spot on." I will add this had just a slight bit of VA on the nose when I first opened and poured a glass, it blew away within a couple minutes. I like my 10 years just a bit drier, but still very pleasant to drink. Fred is correct about the sugar giving it a heavy feel. I give it a 16.5/20

I think it is worth the price and I would buy it again.

My friend added this:

This was his first tawny with an indication of age. As a matter of fact this is his second port ever, as the first was the Grahams 1996 Malvedos VP recently which I had served to some friends over for dinner. He added flavors of dried mango on the palate and nose. As fun I gave him a Niepoort Junior Tawny (and then a Cossart Gordon 1986 Bual Cohlieta Madeira) to compare with. He was amazed at the dramatic difference, although he enjoyed the Ramos Pintos, he prefered the Niepoort Junior followed by the Madeira, then the Ramos Pintos last.

Fred a great choice to start the Virtual tastings with :)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Thanks Andy for jumping in. I also had the VA(volatile acidity) in the first glass but since it was not in the other pouring, I did not write about it. A friend came by today and I make him tasted it. He liked it but he prefers the more fruity Port, remembering the Pocas 95 Vintage as his best port so far.

The 1986 Madeira is a very nice treat!!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Fred_Quebec wrote: A friend came by today and I make him tasted it. He liked it but he prefers the more fruity Port, remembering the Pocas 95 Vintage as his best port so far.
Fred,

Funny you mention this, in the last six months I have served a 10 yr tawny, ruby style tawny's, and VP's to several friends, who are newer to ports. All of them prefered the ruby tawny or the VP over the 10 yr. I guess the fruitier aspect of the ruby tawny's and VP's are more appealing to newer port drinkers :?:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com