1931 Vintage

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Stuart Chatfield

1931 Vintage

Post by Stuart Chatfield »

Does anyone have recent knowledge of this vintage? As far as I can see it was a brilliant vintage lost due to the depression (which caused the 27s to be left on the shelves). It seems only Noval and Niepoort declared. Both Roy and MB seem to agree that Noval, at least, was outstanding.

Has anyone seen any for sale recently? Are they much more pricey than the 27s or 34s/35s? I just can't see any at all and, as the port consultant :lol: of a club I'm a member of, I've been asked to obtain one for the Club's 75th anniversary dinner. (Why couldn't they have waited until 35 to start it - plenty of that about!)
Stuart Chatfield London, England
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

Roy and I use winesearcher.com.
On that website there are currently showing a 1931 Nacional for $5500 US
at Raeders of NY and a 1931 Sandeman for $1395 US at 20-20 ( Name of the shop!) in LA.
There is a German offering of a tawny 1931.
Richard Henderson
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Stuart

1931 does generally go for considerably more than '27 or '34/5. I'm not sure why, possibly something to do with the small declaration combined with the cachet that comes from the reputation of the Noval '31 (both the regular vines and the Nacional).

I'll keep an eye out for a bottle and let you know if I see one.

Would a madeira from 1931 be good for the club - if I can track down one of those instead?

Alex
Stuart Chatfield

Madeira is a good idea if the right port does not come up. However, this particular club drinks its madeira from a communal loving cup (about the size and dimensions of the FA cup). Whether such a fine wine should be treated in that way is doubtful :roll: , but what the ****, let's be decadent for once!

Luckily, I've been given almost a year's lead time to find the right thing so I'm not going to rush. If you see a good 31 of port or madeira, let me know please.

If the lottery comes up I'll go for that Nacional, but I don't think I can manage $5,000!

I see that Christies has a gigantic Madeira sale in a couple of weeks; no 31 as far as I can see though? However, I see there's an 1811 :shock: if anyone wants it!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Stuart,

There are other 1931 Ports not mentioned above. The 1931 Noval regular bottling is great but to spend over 2500k euros is silly. Don't do it. I helped somebody purchase a bottle a few years ago from a private cellar.

I can help you as well, but it would be a different producer and an ex-cellars purchase. It would have to remain below the radar, so to speak.

Send me an email and I will help you obtain a bottle for your club.

Please list:

The name and location of the club
the number of people in the club
what type of club and its purpose
how many will be attending this tasting
is there a special date of the tasting

Then I will get to work.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
dlester

Re: 1931 Vintage

Post by dlester »

Stuart Chatfield wrote:Does anyone have recent knowledge of this vintage? As far as I can see it was a brilliant vintage lost due to the depression (which caused the 27s to be left on the shelves). It seems only Noval and Niepoort declared. Both Roy and MB seem to agree that Noval, at least, was outstanding.

Has anyone seen any for sale recently? Are they much more pricey than the 27s or 34s/35s? I just can't see any at all and, as the port consultant :lol: of a club I'm a member of, I've been asked to obtain one for the Club's 75th anniversary dinner. (Why couldn't they have waited until 35 to start it - plenty of that about!)
Stuart,

I have just bought four bottles of Noval '31 off of Corney & Barrows' broking list. I shall be going down to Octavian next Monday to check the fill levels (which have been described rather unspecificly as "good") and cork condition and to photograph them. I have been told that the bottles were purchased by their previous owner sometime in the 1960s/70s, and stored in his cellar in Devon; they've recently spent four years at Octavian. The JPEGs I have, show hand-written strip labels from "John Harvey & Sons, Bristol".

I'm looking to sell one or two bottles to prevent surgery for radical orchidectomy being performed when my wife finds out about this recent purchase....

So, let me know if you're interested, and to anyone else: given Serena's recent article on decanter.com about fakes, is there anyway to determine authenticity on old bottles? After all, at this stage I can probably still return them.
Stuart Chatfield

About my specific requirements, I've sent you a pm. Thanks for that suggestion.

Re: fakes, yes that is a worry. However, when I open an old bottle I wonder how anyone could fake a branded port cork to look as it does when you pull it. The way that it behaves and distorts I just wonder how it can be done (unless faked very soon after bottling). Therefore, I think lovers of Petrus 2000 are more at risk than us lovers of 31 Noval!
dlester

Post by dlester »

Stuart Chatfield wrote:About my specific requirements, I've sent you a pm. Thanks for that suggestion.

Re: fakes, yes that is a worry. However, when I open an old bottle I wonder how anyone could fake a branded port cork to look as it does when you pull it. The way that it behaves and distorts I just wonder how it can be done (unless faked very soon after bottling). Therefore, I think lovers of Petrus 2000 are more at risk than us lovers of 31 Noval!
Stuart (and others),

I'll get back to you after I've made a trip to Octavian next week.

So what should I be looking out for?

One of the bottles has a cracked wax seal; so it looks like I should check to see if there are branded corks. Should I worry if they're un-branded or not detectable without opening?

Should I worry about the fact that the strip labels are hand-written rather than typed? Though there appears to be a gratifyingly large amount of mold growing on the labels (a good sign for their previous cellar conditions, if nothing else).

What is a decent fill-level? Can it be detected by shining a bright torch through from behind?

As always, any help and advice gratefully received.

And yes Stuart, I've generally less concern for old ports than other wines; after all for the same amount of effort a forger could have fabricated a 1945 Petrus, and made far larger returns. However, the 1931 Noval holds a very special place in the hearts of port-lovers and that is why i'm trying to be careful.
Stuart Chatfield

Roy would know more about this and no doubt will chip in. However, I know he is more risk-averse to unknown provenance than us in England!

It may be too late, then, but what I mean is that when we see what a cork looks like when it is pulled from a 40+ y/o bottle we know you can't replicate that. Roy was telling me how much rarer the 31 ports are than, say, a 61 Latour. However, you've hit it on the head that it is DEMAND as well as supply that matters: why go to the trouble of forging a bottle to sell for a few hundreds when you can get 100x that amount for the same effort with a Pomerol or Latour? If you're the same D Lester who has just posted on JR.com re: bdx futures you'll clearly understand the economics of that at least as well as me. As much as it is in our hearts, unlike bdx lovers we have little competition in what is now a buyers' market for us.

I'd just say that if the cork looks genunine when pulled and says 1931 on it it is surely likely to be genuine? To fool you someone would have had to have done so many years ago and why would they have bothered?

Once again, Roy will know more but I wouldn't be bothered about un-branded corks - I've had some un-branded on old UK bottlings with very reliable and old seals on top. However, most do have branded corks in my experience.

Fill-level - at that age the bottles will likely be more transparent than the modern ones and should easily be seen. I'd consider anything from TS for that age, but I think anything less than bottom-of-neck should be revealed at point of purchase as this does alter the price. Do others agree? I'm sure I've seen M. Broadbent comment, though, to the effect that we're too troubled worrying about fill-levels and we should account more for age. However, the market is bothered so the purchaser should know I suppose.

I'd say the dubious labels should be considered along with all factors. Are the seals stamped, and CAN you see the corks? Luckily, in my whole port experience, whenever I've gambled on dodgy labels I have bid accordingly and the corks have always shown the label to be right in the end. However, I might not risk hundreds with no other evidence!

Mould and dirt is reassuring, but I have just grown some very quickly on some old bottles I bought just last year!
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Sadly, John Harvey & Sons was bought up a few years back so its not possible to contact them and ask for their opinion as to whether the labels are genuine.

However, my personal view is that it is not a problem to have handwritten slips. I see these come up quite often at auction and if it was a problem then I am sure that we would see many fewer such labels at the top auction houses.

I think that one way to get some assurance as to the authenticity of the bottles is to investigate more closely the previous ownership. If you can get sufficient evidence as to the fact that the previous owner bought the wine in the 60's or 70's then I would say that was conclusive proof that they were not fake - although I suppose they could have been faked at the time. Its also worth asking whether the bottles have ever been recorked - and if so, who by and when.

Other options would include taking a really strong light with you and trying to see the cork branding through the glass. Also look at the wax or other seal and try to estimate whether or not it is genuine.

You could also take some detailed photos of the bottles and send them to Quinta do Noval and ask for their opinion. I'm sure that for bottles as rare as these they would be delighted to help.

Other than those ideas, the only way to know is to buy them, open one and see what it tastes like. I would certainly take the risk and buy them as the opportunity to try a wine as rare as this is not something likely to come up very often in a lifetime. If you want to keep your risks to a minimum then your idea of buying the bottles and selling one or two is an excellent idea.

If you haven't already bought them and are looking to check their authenticity first then I would not hang about as there may well be other people (like me - but I wouldn't do that to you since you've now posted here) who would be willing to take the risk.

Alex
dlester

Post by dlester »

bridgema wrote:Sadly, John Harvey & Sons was bought up a few years back so its not possible to contact them and ask for their opinion as to whether the labels are genuine.

However, my personal view is that it is not a problem to have handwritten slips. I see these come up quite often at auction and if it was a problem then I am sure that we would see many fewer such labels at the top auction houses.

I think that one way to get some assurance as to the authenticity of the bottles is to investigate more closely the previous ownership. If you can get sufficient evidence as to the fact that the previous owner bought the wine in the 60's or 70's then I would say that was conclusive proof that they were not fake - although I suppose they could have been faked at the time. Its also worth asking whether the bottles have ever been recorked - and if so, who by and when.

Other options would include taking a really strong light with you and trying to see the cork branding through the glass. Also look at the wax or other seal and try to estimate whether or not it is genuine.

You could also take some detailed photos of the bottles and send them to Quinta do Noval and ask for their opinion. I'm sure that for bottles as rare as these they would be delighted to help.

Other than those ideas, the only way to know is to buy them, open one and see what it tastes like. I would certainly take the risk and buy them as the opportunity to try a wine as rare as this is not something likely to come up very often in a lifetime. If you want to keep your risks to a minimum then your idea of buying the bottles and selling one or two is an excellent idea.

If you haven't already bought them and are looking to check their authenticity first then I would not hang about as there may well be other people (like me - but I wouldn't do that to you since you've now posted here) who would be willing to take the risk.

Alex
Alex (and others),

Thanks for all of the help. Right, where to start this epic tale?

Firstly, the bottles were not in Octavian (handily close to my brother's house), but on the merchant's own premises in the City of London. So, obviously I needed a suitable excuse to make the three hundred mile round trip to London and back. Luckily one occurred and on the way to picking my wife up from the Mother-in-Law's in West London, I managed a trip to collect wines from Great Missenden and then a little detour down the Euston Road, before returning to Ealing.

I will spare you an account of the joys of accurately navigating around the new London Central congestion charging zone.

Eventually, I managed to find Corney and Barrows' swanky new premises, just off of Tower Bridge. You can't help speculating that proximity to Traitors Gate must concentrate the minds of the directors wonderfully when it comes to dealing with their most illustrious clients. "Another corked wine, Mr B? Off to the Tower for you, my fine friend."

Anyway, I met Alice (who does the UK's DRC allocation) and we went into one of the tasting rooms to have a look at all six of the bottles. Two were in plastic bags where they had already leaked. The next had a low fill level; luckily the sun was out and we could hold the bottles up to the window. All of these bottles had been withdrawn from sale. So now we get to the final three. Two were perfect, whilst a third had a cracked wax seal. No sign of any vintage stamp on the top of the corks, by the way. After about ten minutes of mulling it over, I decided to take the third bottle.

On the drive around London I idly speculate that the case of 2002 Burgundies along with these three bottles comfortably exceeds the value of the car. "Obsession", you say; I don't know what you're talking about.

Ray and I have previously discussed the problems of (and solutions to) getting wine from the boot/trunk of your car into the cellar under the nose of a suspicious wife. As I recall, Ray came up with the brilliant suggestion that one should walk backwards so that one is able to say "But honey, I'm moving stuff from the cellar to the car". Suffice it to say, the wines were transfered.

After about an hour an excuse to visit the cellar is made and it is clear all is not well with one of the bottles: the one with the cracked wax seal. On Monday, phoning C&B I'm told that I should return this bottle next time I'm in London and my account is to be credited. Can't say fairer than that, can you?

In a sense returning that third bottle seems a shame. The wine is not corked (see http://www.lancs.ac.uk/staff/exaajs/win ... _feb06.htm to see how irritating TCA has been to the Mancunian Winos recently). The fill level is still into the neck, and the smear of liquid around the cork tasted only slightly madierized. It's just that I can't justify full price on a bottle that is not going to be consumed in the next month or so.

So, that leaves just two bottles ... hopefully at least one of them won't be corked.
Andrew Stevenson

Post by Andrew Stevenson »

Sounds like C&B have been very fair with you, David.

I take it you didn't offer them a tenner for the bottles withdrawn from sale, or at least if you did, they rejected it!

Shall we have port as the theme at the next Manchester offline?
Stuart Chatfield

dlester wrote:
Ray and I have previously discussed the problems of (and solutions to) getting wine from the boot/trunk of your car into the cellar under the nose of a suspicious wife. As I recall, Ray came up with the brilliant suggestion that one should walk backwards so that one is able to say "But honey, I'm moving stuff from the cellar to the car". Suffice it to say, the wines were transfered.

My one is to use my cellar for storing other things (excess files and books to do with work etc.)

Wine can then go in and out disguised as income-generating boxes of files associated with the latest deal or transaction. Wine boxes do fit inside the larger of those cardboard boxes used for legal documents etc. :lol: