Niepoort Vertente

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

michael miller

Niepoort Vertente

Post by michael miller »

Had this wine last night at a restaurant in Nashville. 2006 vintage. I had never heard of this wine before. Dark purple color, very youthful, with a touch of tar, red and purple berry aromas. Moderate tannin, balanced acidity. Very delicious flavors similar to the nose. Perfect with my osso bucco. The Braodbent 5 year Madiera after dinner was just ok. Nothing special. Have had that one a few times before.

Michael
Michael Miller
Pedro Guimaraes

Re: Niepoort Vertente

Post by Pedro Guimaraes »

The 2007 is a great effort!!!! The best Vertente made by Niepoort....
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Micheal, Glad you got to try this wine from Dirk. IMO in the past it has been a nice and consistent wine that didn't break the bank to buy. In the US, I used to buy them for around $20-22. Now they seem to average around $30-35 and IMO is a price way to high for the level of this wine. There are other better wines out there I'd rather get for this much money, like Quinta do Crasto's Reserva. Or for around $18-22, Quinta do Vale Meao Meandro wine. Just to name two alternatives. Or heck, for another $3-8 dollars you could get Niepoort's Redoma which is a big step up from the Vertente.

I think Niepoort really needs to look at the pricing of Vertente and ensure their distributors are keeping it in the low $20-ish range retail (max of $25/bottle). In all honesty the price increase is the main reason I don't buy the Vertente anymore...and I own a lot of Niepoort dry wines as I really like his style of Douro wines.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Andy Velebil wrote:I think Niepoort really needs to look at the pricing of Vertente and ensure their distributors are keeping it in the low $20-ish range retail (max of $25/bottle). In all honesty the price increase is the main reason I don't buy the Vertente anymore...and I own a lot of Niepoort dry wines as I really like his style of Douro wines.
I'd say that someone in the chain is taking too much money out of Niepoort's name... In Quebec, the wine sells for 27$can, so there is no reason to see this wine above that in the US
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Frederick Blais wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:I think Niepoort really needs to look at the pricing of Vertente and ensure their distributors are keeping it in the low $20-ish range retail (max of $25/bottle). In all honesty the price increase is the main reason I don't buy the Vertente anymore...and I own a lot of Niepoort dry wines as I really like his style of Douro wines.
I'd say that someone in the chain is taking too much money out of Niepoort's name... In Quebec, the wine sells for 27$can, so there is no reason to see this wine above that in the US
Indeed, looks like it. In the Netherlands this is still just under 20 euros.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
michael miller

Post by michael miller »

I don't know what level Niepoort wine this is. It was 65 dollars at the restaurant, which translates to around 25 to 30 retail. I know the other Niepoort wines are very expensive. But most thing are here in Nashville compared with other parts of the country.

Michael
Michael Miller