“Madeira floods and mudslides kill 25”

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Heather Hathwell
Location: Glendale, California, United States of America - USA

Re: “Madeira floods and mudslides kill 25”

Post by Heather Hathwell »

I finally heard back from Faja dos Padres... Patricia reports they had a little trouble but nothing serious and all is okay, thankfully, on their bit of the south coast.
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

Another BBC video, this one showing much damage: Fresh Madeira landslide warnings issued. Worth watching.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I finally heard back from Faja dos Padres... Patricia reports they had a little trouble but nothing serious and all is okay, thankfully, on their bit of the south coast.
That is good news at least.
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

The BBC, in an article entitled [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8529580.stm]Rescue teams work round the clock in Madeira[/url], wrote:Along the seafront in Funchal, a wide palm-fringed avenue borders the harbour, normally the perfect place for a holiday stroll, but there are no sightseers tonight... just gangs of weary salvage workers, and a constant rumble of heavy machinery.

Round the clock, the efforts to clear tonnes of mud and rock carried down from the mountains has been unceasing.

In Funchal's deserted shopping centre, hoses thread through the narrow streets where residents are still trying to gain access to ruined and waterlogged buildings.

The flood waters have torn the heart out of Madeira's capital. The local paper carries one banner headline: "Devastation."

This is an island especially popular with British visitors, who have always received a warm welcome.

Now, standing in the heavy rain showers, they can barely believe what has unfolded around them.

One woman told me: "They're getting on with the clear-up, but there's a kind of darkness hanging over the city, it's so sad."

Just outside the capital, the scene of one tragedy is closed to public view.

Pamela Gaines, from East Yorkshire in the UK, was travelling in a taxi with her husband, and two friends, when it was carried away by floodwater.

The taxi driver also lost his life.

Help is arriving - a warship and extra troops to help restore infrastructure and communications.

But more heavy rain has hampered the teams who are making slow progress towards isolated communities in the mountains around Funchal, some of which remain cut off.

A second major operation centres on an underground car park near the capital's commercial centre. Divers have been carrying out searches amid fears that some of the missing have been trapped.

Madeira's government has once again warned that the death toll here could rise still further.
Symon B

Post by Symon B »

:Naughty: :Naughty: seems we are living in very changing times as i read my bible it is all declaired to happen in the end times haiti sun army the cockermouth floods uk and floods wales a few ys ago the south american floods 2/3 ys ago earthquake in italy and the quake were 100k died 3ys ago not looking good at all the last thing on peoples minds should be the condition of a vineyard ore soil people are much much more important and 36 ore so are dead horific fear for them that freak flood our prayres go up for the families symonb
Steve Pollack

Post by Steve Pollack »

the last thing on peoples minds should be the condition of a vineyard ore soil people are much much more important and 36 ore so are dead horific fear for them that freak flood our prayres go up for the families
symon, i think all of us here share your view that the people are far more important than the vineyards or wine. however, we feel a connection to this tragedy because of the wine, or because some of us have visited the island primarily for wine tasting. so it is natural to make some comments regarding the conditon of the vineyards. i don't think that diminishes our hopes, thoughts, and prayers for the people that live on the island. this disaster, while obviously tragic, pales in comparison to the haiti situation. yet there were no posts here regarding haiti, because while all of us feel tremendous sympathy with regard to haiti, it is just not as relevant to the :ftlop: community.
Last edited by Steve Pollack on Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Steve,

I wholeheartedly agree with your post. FTLOP is not here to discuss religious beliefs, the Bible of any kind or its teachings. Haiti had 500 deaths for every one that took place in Madeira. But it is our direct or indirect connections with the people, the place and the wines of Madeira which you so eloquently pointed out, that have created our concerns here.

I was originally going to delete Symon's post, which would have been the first post deletion here at :ftlop: in well over a full year ... but I thought better about doing so. I am sure that at this point, Symon will not respond by bringing up mysticism/religion/bible related topics here again. If anyone wants to invoke prayer for those that have perished, that would be a much better use of time. :thanks:

Please let's just stay on course with what has happened and what continues to take place on the island and hope that this extraordinary disaster is quickly cleaned up and that the family's who sustained devastating losses of their loved ones, can begin to mourn and in time, heal from their pain.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Heather Hathwell
Location: Glendale, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Heather Hathwell »

I found an interesting site http://www.madeirahelp.com , which includes intermittent updates each day, including the following notable observations not typically mentioned in news reports:

Madeira Update 2100Z 23FEB2010
- Death toll 42, Local government president lowered the number to 37 on TV. Government data is not accurate, serving "political agenda". Please proceed with caution.- 350 number on homeless people.
- No access to North via Ribeira Brava for 2 years. (Ed: Does this mean a trip up to Monte and then through Ribeiro Frio to Santana and then west along the north road?]
- Schools starting to open in all the island.
- Government refuses to declare calamity.
- Government President criticized Public attorney investigation, as shameful.
- All travelers should contact their Home Office and Embassy to assess and seek advise on travelling. Insurance companies might not cover any travelling towards madeira.
- Hotel area not compromised but movement around Madeira seriously affected. Tours for tourists not operating, several touristic attractions still closed.

- No mobile and land line communication beyond Ribeira Brava, fiber optics destroyed.

- Paul do Mar, Jardim do Mar with no access or communications, rescue teams can't get there.
- Serra d'água lost some houses close to the river.
- Babosas (Monte) 1 house and the little chapel completely destroyed.
- Madeira airport open.
- No potable water on Funchal, Ribeira Brava, Ponta do Sol, Calheta.

The debate about construction speed seen in the news reports is also interesting. I wonder where it will end up. I often found Madeira to be (sadly) turned into a concrete swiss cheese over these past 10 years that I've been going,
but until now considered it to be merely my own aesthetics that were offended. Death and destruction is another matter, should it come to pass that rapidfire development is at least equally to blame with Mother Nature.

- Heather
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks to Julian for the great updates and to Heather for the previous post which provided lots of information.

I have been doing my homework to find the best way (from afar) to help the cause on Madeira. I am not one to normally get involved in telling others how or where to donate their hard earned money. So, all I will say is that while doing my research and asking people over there ... this was the website that kept getting mentioned as one of the main focal points for helping those displaced and other relief efforts.

I wish that FTLOP was in a financial position to make a substantial donation or match funds of Forum participants. Sadly, that is not the case. Nonetheless, I will be making my own donation and you can investigate this organization too, before making your own contribution ... if that is something you feel comfortable doing. I am sure there are others worthy of supporting too, but again ... this seems to be the best I could find. Please do check for yourself.

http://www.caritas.pt/funchal/seccao2.a ... ccaoid=221
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Niklas J

Post by Niklas J »

Hi all,

The fog is so thick today you can barely see more than a few meters ahead! But yesterday when arriving to the island I was impressed by the intensity of re-establishing a functioning island. A bit scary as well but those I have talked to seem to take it fine - although there is some criticism on why houses have been built certain places, especially in Ribeira Brava. Too many risky grounds there...

From where we live, in Palheiro, the eastern parts of the outskirts of Funchal, we see the damage in the city downtown as a string through. The mud slide also adds a brownish colour to the sea from the harbour and out.

Today, life is back to normal. School's are open and people are going back to work. The buses and so on are moving and shops re-opening - those who can.

Will enter Funchal's city core first when the workers say it is ok and we're not in the way! Friday most likely...

Still, it is good to be here again and we long to meet all producers and others in the wine trade!

Best,

Niklas
Niklas Jorgensen

Remember this in 25 years or so; 2012 is a great year for Madeira wine!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The mud slide also adds a brownish colour to the sea from the harbour and out.
Niklas,

It is great to have you there to add perspective for us. The brownish color in the sea is easy to explain. Dump trucks filled with mud and rock have been dumping directly in the ocean and that is causing the muck to provide a murky, brownish color as you mention.

We look forward to your further reports.

Enjoy your stay at this most incredible moment in the island's history!
Niklas J

Post by Niklas J »

Hi Roy,

Yep, I saw the dumping this morning as well. But after that the fog's been surrounding the island! And when we went shopping in the afternoon it had started to get windy and the rain fell. Then 45 minutes later, done shopping, the rain was pouring and the winds were impressive. I asked how this was compared to Saturday and got the answer this was just a mild rainfall! I can't imagine what Saturday must have been like!

Still, with the catastrophy in mind, Madeiran's are so genuine and friendly. Truly a remarkable bunch of people! And more children friendly people is tough to find - even in Italy 8--)

Friday I have a meeting with IVBAM. If they can welcome me - otherwise the producers are first out starting with H&H next week, followed by Barbeito.

Best,

Niklas Jörgensen
Niklas Jorgensen

Daniel R.

Post by Daniel R. »

From several media sources: apparently Diogo's Wine Shop (in Funchal) was pretty much wiped out by the water and the -1 floor of the Instituto do Vinho da Madeira was flooded. It seems some vineyards have also been damaged but still early to tell as several areas are still closed due to danger of further slides.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Has anyone come up with a solid gold charity which specifically is directed toward the Madeira relief effort?
Niklas J

Post by Niklas J »

Hi Daniel,

Can confirm the IVBAM been closed this week. I had a meeting booked with the president yesterday (Friday) and we had to postpone. They are located at Rua Visconde do Anadia which is parallel with one of the flooded rivers/canals. I haven't yet heard of any wine producers being hit by the floodings in Funchal but thought I'd check out Artur Barros boys today, just to see how they are doing.

There was one wine shop downtown Funchal severely hit but my Portuguese is not that good and the dialect they speak on the local RTP Madeira channel is even more tough to understand! But I suspect it was Diogo's since I did recognise the shop. If so, let me put it this way - it is good they put the best bpttles on the top of the shelves and the cheaper ones at the bottom!

Tonight there was something of a storm here! Our furnitures on the veranda had decided to move to the other corner and those chairs are quite heavy! Madeira is turbulent weather conditions, and constantly changing as well, but that is no news. Today the sun is shining (atm) and now it is time to go downtown Funchal again - I hope the Mercado dos Lavradores is open since I love buying their fresh fish, fruits and veggies. Not accessible two days ago so let's hope!

Best,

Niklas
Niklas Jorgensen

Symon B

Post by Symon B »

huge earthquake again this time chile i wonder if that is in the huge wine making region and do they make a port style drink there yet symonb [ . :( ]
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Symon B wrote:i wonder if that is in the huge wine making region and do they make a port style drink there yet symonb [ . :( ]
Sorry, but isn't that somewhat irrelevant in the context of what is happening there today?
Symon B

Post by Symon B »

yes it is irrelevent symonb
Niklas J

Post by Niklas J »

Walked by Pereira d'Oliveira and the Artur Barros e Sousa place's today. Even if they're close to the flooding it seems that Rua dos Ferreiros wasn't hit by the catastrophe. Even if you shouldn't say it would be worse if Barros for example was hit but it is since they're a small family run business and a true a mano work.

MWC looked good and i don't think they were affected at all - will meet them later in March and will then ask more. The most scary thing to see is all underground parking spots they have in the city. Garages that was hit without warning and people simply got stuck in there. Most major shopping mall's are closed since they are built not high up but downwards...

Priority is given to classic tourist streets but even these were cut off every now and then for further clean up. You're not allowed to go down to the seaside in Funchal yet but from our apartment up in Palheiro we see the mud from the city - mud being dumped or led out via pumps. This night it was a real storm as well and thye water was even more muddy all the way from Camara de Lobos and even Cabo Girao. Ribeira Brava - 30 km from Funchal may be the city worst affected by the flooding and the question is if we manage to go there.

Next week, when we start going on visit's to producers I will ask for more details regarding vineyards and so on.

Today though, a lovely day in Funchal with nice weather and many people out walking the streets.

Best,

Niklas Jörgensen
Niklas Jorgensen