is the quinta noval 2007 best qn young port in last 40 years and is it stuffed with 2007 qnn

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

Re: is the quinta noval 2007 best qn young port in last 40 years and is it stuffed with 2007 qnn

Post by Eric Menchen »

I haven't tasted the 2007, nor the 1997, nor many from the last 40 years. So I can't really answer this question at all, but given all the discussion, felt compelled to add something ...

If price is any indication (which is a whole different topic), the 1997 should win for recent vintages. It regularly sells for $200 a bottle in the US, more than twice as much as its other vintage rivals. As a result, I own but one bottle. At the same time, I bought a bunch of the 2003 and have high hopes for it. A lot of it showed up relatively cheaply at US retailers, not because it isn't any good, but because of a change in the distributorship.

Let us know how the comparative tastings go. I was really impressed with Noval when I visited their tasting room in V.n.d.G., and other tastings of non-70s and 80s bottles have been equally impressive.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: is the quinta noval 2007 best qn young port in last 40 years and is it stuffed with 2007 qnn

Post by Glenn E. »

The 2003 Noval is an amazing wine. I haven't had the 2007, but I can say that it would have to be truely extraordinary to top the 2003 because the '03 Noval is probably my favorite recent VP.

It's tough for me to compare a 2003 and a 2007, though, because the 2007s are just too young right now. I can tell that a few of them are going to be great, but I can't position them compared to even just slightly older Ports because something that young is just so different. Give 'em a few years and then ask the question again. :wink:
Glenn Elliott
oscarquevedo

Post by oscarquevedo »

Symon, I can't answer to your question. I don't know and I'll probably never know which is the best Noval. But the 2007 Noval is a great Port, very complete and worth to try. You will not regret.