TN: 2007 Quinta do Vallado Reserve Douro

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

TN: 2007 Quinta do Vallado Reserve Douro

Post by Andy Velebil »

Cracked this a few hours ago and poured into the decanter. Been sipping this ever since and what started out a bit lean, leaving me wondering at all the great reviews I've heard. After about 2 hours was when this made a huge change and started to pull itself together. I am amazed at how restrained the fruit is yet at the same time has such a powerful and complex presence. It's especially noticeable on the mid palate and the very long finish where the tannins have slowly built up hour by hour. A little bit of noticeable oak is still there, but this is such a baby and I have no doubt this will integrate in a few years. This is one of those wines that once it opens for business is hard to put down and I've almost finished the bottle already. This is another very good Douro that I'd recommend to anyone. Although my only minor quibble is at about $55 a bottle it is a bit pricey. 93 points
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com