Help for 2 Brits on Tour! NW America/Canada

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

dom carter

Help for 2 Brits on Tour! NW America/Canada

Post by dom carter »

Hi,

Just a punt for advice, I'm flying to NW America from the UK in 3 weeks for a 2 week vacation - Me and my best mate are doing a road trip from Vancouver to Calgary - via a little excursion into Washington State probably as far as Seattle, to visit a collective of friends who have emigirated to/live in NW America and i was wondering is there any Port-associated loveliness to be had??

Whether it is a good bar, great wine merchant (we have a 4 seater for the 2 of us, so plenty of storage space!!) or little hidden gem of something Port related, I'm just after some local advice, i know British Columbia has a large "Craft Beer" brewing heritage, and as i don't drink Lager i'm very happy about that!! but i know nothing of Port Wine in BC or WA

Any info would be appreciated

Dom
Last edited by dom carter on Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Help for 2 Brits on Tour! NW America/Canada

Post by Glenn E. »

Dom, if you make it as far as Seattle we'll definitely have some Port-associated activities while you're here! There are several of us in the Seattle area and I'm sure we could throw together a nice tasting for your visit. Just let us know when you'll be here!
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Dom,
If you get really "lost" and end up in Los Angeles area let me know :winepour:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
dom carter

Post by dom carter »

Hi,

@ Andy : I'm hoping the Sat-Nav doesn't get us that lost! although LA would be cool, as i'm from england i need to stay up north where it rains!!

@ Glenn E.

Awesome, i'm speaking for myself (but my mate is up for drinking and good company). The plan is to land in Vancouver on the 25th April to stay with friends for a couple of days and be on the west coast until about 29/30th(ish) April - no plans really made as we are taking it one hotel/motel booking at a time, then to drive to Calgary. We will be stopping off in Seattle for a night or 2 as we've both decided the Seattle seems to be a cool place to visit.

If we could sort out something anytime between the last Thursday (29th) in April and the 1st weekend of May that would be cool!

Dom
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Dom -

Friday 4/30 or Saturday 5/1 should work. I'll contact a few people and set something up to be flexible for a while until you have your schedule solidified!
Glenn Elliott
dom carter

Post by dom carter »

Hi,

Glenn this sounds brilliant - don't mind our schedule as were the ones on vacation and can be flexible, and have decided that we're going to be in Seattle around that time, i'll leave the date in your more than capable hands - that way it will allow you to choose either day depending on what works for you and your guys, as i'm sure you all have plans that are in place already to do other things.

Also the pair of us are willing to contribute towards any costs you incur for your generosity [cheers.gif]

Thanks in advance

Dom
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi Dom,

Glenn and I live in very close proximity and we have plenty of Port loving friends and enough Port between us to keep even the most ardent Port enthusiast happy. We look forward to welcoming you to the Pacific NW and sharing our collective Port passion. I'll keep that time frame free.

Welcome to :ftlop:

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

So I'll make the first call here - if you're interested in joining us for a Port tasting on Friday, April 30 or Saturday, May 1 please respond and indicate which day would work better for you!

Unless it gets too large, the tasting will probably be at my house in Sammamish. Anyone who can get here is welcome - you don't have to be from the Seattle area if you want to join us!

The theme (for now) will just be "bring a bottle of Port to share." Vintage Port or Colheita, preferably, though a bottle-aged LBV or 20+ year old Tawny would also be fine.
Glenn Elliott
dom carter

Post by dom carter »

Hi, Glenn,

As i've said earlier, either days works for us 2 brits! I'm trying to get a bottle of VP safely flown over with me in the suitcase. (can't put in the Hand luggage anymore!)

Dom
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

dom carter wrote:I'm trying to get a bottle of VP safely flown over with me in the suitcase.
Dom, don't worry about bringing anything with you - we'll have plenty of Port to share without going to all that trouble!
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Friday the 30th would work best for me, if it doesn't matter to anyone else. What about Stewart, Melanie, Kris H., from the local area and anyone else who wants to join in?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Melanie R.

Post by Melanie R. »

I think I would be available either day. There is a small chance that I will be unavailable due to work, but at this point I am free.
Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves, for we shall never cease to be amused.
Kris Henderson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Kris Henderson »

I have a slight preference for Saturday, May 1 but Friday works too.
dom carter

Post by dom carter »

Hi Glenn,

I was trying to stay as flexible as possible and stay in Seattle the whole weekend, but due to our return flight to the UK being cancelled, we've been rebooked a day earlier - so losing some time to do stuff, so we are having to firm up plans to try to fit everything/everybody in we wanted to do/see.

Either day still works for us Brits, but it would be handy to know which day your kind offer of a "gathering" will take place, and therefore if we were leaving Seattle on Saturday or Sunday to return to Canada.

Thanks in advance,

Dom
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Dom,

In that case I'll make an arbitrary decision and go with Friday, April 30th. I'll send you my mobile number and address by PM so that you have it.
Glenn Elliott
Stewart T.

Post by Stewart T. »

Keep me posted on the details - have something on that weekend but will try to re-arrange so I can join in the festivities!
Stewart T. (Admin) [email protected]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks Glenn, for coordinating this for our UK friends. We will treat 'em right and I look forward to joining you all on the 30th of April.

This should be a lot of fun for local FTLOP'ers who are in need of a good reason to break out some fine bottles of Port, and having guests is the best reason I can think of. :winepour:

Roy
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

I may have as many as 4 more people for this tasting, but it's a long shot. Either way we're going to have a great time!
Glenn Elliott
Markus D.

Post by Markus D. »

Hey Glenn,

Would you have room for one more? I think I could probably take the afternoon off from work to drive down [cheers.gif]
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Absolutely Markus, we'd love to have you! I'll PM you my phone and address.

I also just confirmed 2 of the 4 possibles I mentioned, so with you we currently stand at 8 confirmed with 5 more possible.

1. Dom
2. Dom +1
3. Glenn
4. Roy
5. Melanie
6. Lisa (Glenn +1)
7. Vic (Glenn +2)
8. Markus

9. Andy (Melanie +1)
10. Kris
11. Stuart
12. Jason (Glenn +3)
13. Rebecca (Glenn +4)

Hopefully I haven't forgotten anyone! I think we're probably at the capacity for my dining room, so I'll have to cap the list now unless someone drops out.

Now I just have to figure out where to get enough glasses! [foilhat.gif]
Glenn Elliott