1970 Warre Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Richard Henderson

1970 Warre Vintage Port

Post by Richard Henderson »

I bought a few bottles of this from the "crazy sale" for $80 this week.
One was a "leaker" but for the price and the decision to open it right away and get a prompt refund if it was defective...a fine bouquet of mint, blackberry fruit. A nice full mouthfeel with rhubarb pie, ripe raspberry, with a little licorice. A lot of young Zinfindel characteristics. A long great finish.This is still drinking very young.
A solid 92 points. Tried yesterday and today. After 24 hours, still full bodied and young. A nice alcohol kick, not too hot. Some nice fortifying brandy in the back ground.
If the leaker had any defects, I could not detect any.
The cork was soft , wet, pulled apart.
This was the one to open an try.
I expected the worst and got the best.

I remember the topic " Would you buy a leaker?" and being 54, it has multi-connotations :wink: I just hope a "leaker" is not automatically rejected.
Richard Henderson
Steve Saxon

Post by Steve Saxon »

Richard, I bought a 77 Taylor from PC that was a leaker and it was worth every penny. I think that if you're going to drink it right away and the price is right, it's worth a chance but don't get upset if it's a bad bottle.
Wine brings truth.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I agree with Steve and fortunately, Port is much better at maintaining its greatness than regular unfortified wines. I certainly would never consider buying a 10 year old Burgundy with the designation as a leaker.

Glad to see you enjoyed the Warre 1970. I was not a fan of this wine earlier in its life cycle but the last time or two that I tasted it, the Warre showed nicely. Because of my earlier experiences, I never bought any and have had this only a handful of times in my life.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Kurt Wieneke

Post by Kurt Wieneke »

I look forward to drinking the 1970 Warre's. Sounds as if I don't need to be in a hurry. Broadbent has some good things to say about it this wine, although he is a sucker for Warre's. :)
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

I am so happy to have 2 bottles of "dry" corks. What a nice botttle of 70 port at $80/bottle!
Richard Henderson