TN: 1999 Quinta do Portal Douro Tinto Reserva

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

TN: 1999 Quinta do Portal Douro Tinto Reserva

Post by Andy Velebil »

• 1999 Quinta do Portal Douro Tinto Reserva - Portugal, Douro (4/13/2010)
    This had a lot of Brett on the nose as well as the palate. There was still some tart cherries, Brett, and fully resolved tannins on the palate. I'd say this was a fully mature bottle and it's time to drink up if you have them. 88 Points. (88 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ronald Wortel

Re: TN: 1999 Quinta do Portal Douro Tinto Reserva

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Somehow somewhere I remembered that I also drank a bottle of this once. A search around the WS site reveals this TN:
Posted Feb 03, 2004 04:01 PM
Quinta do Portal tinto reserva 1999
Nice and spicy on the nose. Medium bodied wine with lots of cherry flavours, as well as lighter red fruit, some oak, and a rather high acidity (not bad though, it makes it nice and fresh). A rather supple, smooth wine. If I had tasted this wine blind, I would have guessed it to be a rioja. IMHO, it's not a typical Portuguese style. 88 Ronnie Roots points.
Seems it was a bit better some six years ago, although our scoring is exactly the same! :-)
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: TN: 1999 Quinta do Portal Douro Tinto Reserva

Post by Andy Velebil »

Funny you mention Rioja as a friend thought this could easily pass as an older Chianti. Definitely not your typical "modern" Douro dry wine that's for sure.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com