20 Year Old Tawny Port by Sandeman

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Peter W. Meek

20 Year Old Tawny Port by Sandeman

Post by Peter W. Meek »

2010-04-14 7:00 PM
Opened and poured to shoulder for air.

Slight edge to initial pour. Tasty though. Also gave samples to 3 people.

After dinner (1.5 -2 hours) settled down with the Gang of Port to sample this. Golden, pale, not much red in this tawny. Extremely clear edge.

The only clearer edge I've seen was the Ramos Pinto 10 from a few weeks ago.

Although clear and pale, still a lot of fruit. Nice acidity to balance sweetness.

Side by side with Ferreira 20 (open 7 days) and Ramos Pinto 20 (open 10 days). F20 is getting dark and rich; RP20 still strong but mellowing.

Samples to 2 more people besides 4 G o P members at the bar. Kimmie really liked it.

This is definitely going on the G o P list.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Sandeman 20 Year Old Tawny Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Peter,
Glad the gang liked it. This is one of my favorite 20 years but as you noticed has a very different flavor profile than the Ferreira 20 year. A slight preference for me is the Sandeman chilled on a warm day and the Ferreira at room temp on a cold day. Ahh, variety :yumyum:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Peter,

I've always had the Sandeman 20 on my favorites list, not only because it is delicious, but due to its typically very reasonable price too. A very worthy 20 year old offering for sure, the Sandeman 40 year old is consistently the best Port made by Sandeman. Worth purchasing one bottle to explore!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Michael M.

Post by Michael M. »

I do like this 20 year old Tawny a lot. There is only one thing I would critcise. Although I am a fan of vivid acidity I found it to be too much.
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Michael M. wrote:I do like this 20 year old Tawny a lot. There is only one thing I would critcise. Although I am a fan of vivid acidity I found it to be too much.
That's my only complaint about it as well - otherwise it is a splendid Port. And of course most anyone who likes a lot of bright acidity in their tawnies wouldn't find that to be a problem at all!

As Roy said, it's also usually very reasonably priced. When I see it, it's often $10/bottle cheaper than my usual 20-year olds.
Glenn Elliott
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

In addition to Roy's recommendation for the 40 yr (which I have sadly not had yet) their 30 yr is one of my top tawny ports of all time to date.
Scott Anaya
Michael M.

Post by Michael M. »

Glenn E. wrote: As Roy said, it's also usually very reasonably priced. When I see it, it's often $10/bottle cheaper than my usual 20-year olds.
It's not that cheap here. Usually it goes for about 50 EUR. But I was happy to purchase some bottles at 25 EUR each.
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port