Discussion of 2007 VP scores by WS

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Discussion of 2007 VP scores by WS

Post by Glenn E. »

Tim Swaback wrote:I'm not sure where this can be viewed, but just out of curiosity, where did the Quarles Harris VP end up on his list...if at all?
It's in the middle of the pack: QUARLES HARRIS: 90 (91-94).
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Tim Swaback wrote:I'm not sure where this can be viewed, but just out of curiosity, where did the Quarles Harris VP end up on his list...if at all?
Well, the score above was 90 (91-94). By those measures I'm happy with my purchase of a few bottles. I don't expect them to show or last like a Taylor, but I didn't pay Taylor prices either.
Jim R.

Post by Jim R. »

Great thread. Please consider buying 375 ml sizes as well as the 750s. The small bottles will mature faster and be representative of the full sizes. My wife does not like Port (poor me) so I buy more smaller bottles than some. I have been very happy with the evolution of the 375s.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Jim R. wrote:Great thread. Please consider buying 375 ml sizes as well as the 750s. The small bottles will mature faster and be representative of the full sizes. My wife does not like Port (poor me) so I buy more smaller bottles than some. I have been very happy with the evolution of the 375s.
Jim,
I usually buy a couple 375ml bottles of each so I can revisit it at an earlier date just to check it out. And it keeps me from opening the full size bottles to early as well!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Symon B

Post by Symon B »

it will be interesting to see were a case of fon 85 will be in 15 ys time as apose to 2007 dow ore qn il hasard a guess the fon 85 will be twise as much per bottle
but now they are same price personaly i think no contest in value for money
but yes the owning of 2007 will be like buying a new car but again im a second hand car man happy with 85 fon ore ware 70 etc etc se la vi
remember the fon 85 will be 40 ys old in 15 ys time and the dow qn only 18
18 ys is not a long time in port years big wait for waiting for the wine to marture ore settle down lets look at fon 70 40 ys old and drinking nicely now but still refusing to collaps into a tawney edge its still ruby
good luck to all re 2007 but you could be in for a long hall for the best to mature into the plateaux some of us like to drink our port
re bordeaux 2009 same thing aplies there are better value in 2000 etc and we may see a tiny boom at first then a fall of as people realise there is beter value in the older wines good luck which ever way you go symonb
ps had to put this in i a couple of weeks ago baught 6 mags t 94 debatably the greatest t in the last 50 years for 840 pounds delivered that got 100 points of one expert and v high 90s of others it could be a clone 48 t ore beter with some luck
now that is 16 ys old now and its only 130 pounds more that the uk are charging for qn 2007 delivered well i think there is no contest for VALUE FOR MONEY [yahoo.gif] [rotfl.gif] [dash1.gif]
Symon B

Post by Symon B »

and here is another point and money does mater no matter how some of people may descieve themselves in believing
im a realist
if you buy a case of fon 85 at auction it will cost you 450 pounds its 230 pounds less than qn 2007 and 100 less than dow 2007
you try selling the fon 85 in an auction 1 year later if you need money you will get all your money back not so for your 2007 dow ore qn 2007 in this world collaps ressesion whatever you wish to call it you will get 30 persent less at auction because of the profit for the wholesailers for one reason
i look forward to drinking dow and qn 2007 in 2025 if im still alive god willing but again nothing is sertain in this life and we are all diferent symonb
Michael M.

Post by Michael M. »

Symon B wrote:it will be interesting to see were a case of fon 85 will be in 15 ys time as apose to 2007 dow ore qn il hasard a guess the fon 85 will be twise as much per bottle
1985 has been such a vast crop that TFP is still bringing 1985 Fonseca VP "ex cellars" on the market. How many cases have been made of 1985 Fonseca VP, 20.000?

On the other side 6.200 cases of 2007 Dow VP have been made. The Symigtons told to an important German dealer that they could currently sell five times of the quantity of 2007 Dow VP they do have in their cellars. So my conclusion would be that 2007 Dow VP yet is curt.

My 2 cents: Due to the perfect score of 100 points from Mr. Suckling 2007 Dow VP is a myth by now no matter what is written against or in favour to the scoring of Mr. Suckling. This normally has an impact to the price. I can only speak for Germany. Increase after the rating within 3 days was about 35-43%.
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
michael miller

Post by michael miller »

I have a case of the '07 Dows, I guess I need to try it.

Michael
Michael Miller
Symon B

Post by Symon B »

well i see the point re 100 points being awarded to dow pushing the price up lets see if it still has 100 pt in 10 ys time did sukling himself do the tasting and was it bliend
it may well go up in value further but remember there are myriads of older better value drinkable vintage ports out there cheaper and probably as good
sukling is on his own at 100pt on dow and he will remain alone on that score symonb [yahoo.gif] [cheers.gif]
i wonder if it was one of his minions who tasted it
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Jim R. wrote:My wife does not like Port (poor me) so I buy more smaller bottles than some.
Hey! I resemble that quote....If she drinks Port, she turns into a pumpkin within 20 minutes! :drunk: [shrug.gif]
David Spriggs

Post by David Spriggs »

David Spriggs wrote:
Jim R. wrote:My wife does not like Port (poor me) so I buy more smaller bottles than some.
Hey! I resemble that quote....If my wife drinks Port, she turns into a pumpkin within 30 minutes! :drunk: [shrug.gif]
David Spriggs

Post by David Spriggs »

Symon B wrote:baught 6 mags t 94 ....that got 100 points of one expert
We are on the same page here. Although it was the same "expert" that rated the 1994 Taylor and the 2007 Dow 100 points. I've had both on release and I understand the 1994 Taylor rating. I did not personally rate the 2007 Dow that high. Both are amazing wines, but my style tends more toward Taylor. It's early days yet for the 2007 Dow... however I still convinced by the 1994 Taylor (I rated 97-98 over the last several years). That's a great price Symon for that wine! At my age there is no reason for me to buy 2007's. There I've said it. 2003 is likely the last Vintage Port year that I'll lay down. Not that there is any issue with 2007 (I'd love to buy some), but personally, I can't justify it.

As far as Sucklings scores go, I agreed with some and strongly disagreed with others. Croft at 93 points? To me that was inexplicable... but maybe he got special bottles or the wine has really improved.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

If I'm realistic, the ports being released today are unlikely to reach the level of maturity that I prefer within my lifetime. Even the general rule of thumb that says vintage port should not be drunk before its 21st birthday means that I will not have many years in which to drink them up. Although I was able to taste many of the 2007 ports before deciding which to buy, my age means that if I buy in any quantity then I am buying for my children - which I am only happy to do if one or both show an interest in vintage port!

Out of the ports from 2007 that I tried, I really liked the Graham and the Noval. I bought these and some Vesuvio to keep my vertical going. In future years I will probably only buy Vesuvio and something to drink 2-3 years after release when it is in its fruit-bomb phase.

Other than that, it will be back-filling for me. According to my spreadsheet I still need to buy nearly 600 more bottles before I have enough to drink at my current rate for the rest of my expcted lifespan. I could do with some more Taylor 1994...
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ronald wrote:
A last thing that strikes me after seeing the list is that neither of the Sogevinus ports was tasted from bottle. It seems that Sogevinus either didn't succeed to submit their final product in time or that they couln't be bothered. Knowing the Portuguese and their planning skills, I have my guess ready...
Er ... Sogevinus is a Spanish firm, not Portuguese. So what do you say now? :scholar:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I had a bottle of 2007 Qunta do Vale Meao with some very serious Port lovers on Saturday. The lowest score of the group was 95 points. Someone surely got this one wrong and I am talking about a critic. The score listed for Noval ... you taste that Port and tell me what you think. 8--)
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Roy Hersh wrote:The score listed for Noval ... you taste that Port and tell me what you think. 8--)
I did. I bought it. And now the quinta has sold out. I didn't buy enough - damn!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Alex,

Do you have a TN on the 2007 Noval? I'd be very interested to read your impression.
Melanie R.

Post by Melanie R. »

Buying young or buying old....seems a bit like the difference between adopting a puppy vs an adult dog. Adopt an adult dog and you get to reap the benefits of someone else's work in training the dog, caring for the dog, etc. However, you miss out on the dog's growing-up years. With a puppy you have more awkward phases and more work, but you also get more time to enjoy the ride.
Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves, for we shall never cease to be amused.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

And to continue your analogy Melanie, if you adopt an older dog, you don't know how it was treated before. It may be great, or it may have issues. Not everyone treats and trains their pets the same.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Roy Hersh wrote:Alex,

Do you have a TN on the 2007 Noval? I'd be very interested to read your impression.
I've posted it here