search for the cheapest bottle of port challange 2010 reatail shops

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Symon B

search for the cheapest bottle of port challange 2010 reatail shops

Post by Symon B »

well here we go marks and spencers christmas and new year lb 8.99 sterling per bottle but im sure someone will beat that pritty quickly for the down cheapest bottle of port out there
and can we have tasting notes if poss symonb [welcome.gif] [yahoo.gif] [rotfl.gif]
it was not very pleasant single tasting but ok to put in the stilton
Eric Menchen

Re: search for the cheapest bottle of port challange 2010 reatail shops

Post by Eric Menchen »

Should we clarify here?

The cheapest VP I know of in my parts is 2005 Quinta de Roriz for $20.

I've bought LBVs for around $16 (2003 Dow, 2004 Quinta do Crasto), but suspect others can do better than that.

Reserve? I bought some Broadbent Auction Reserve recently, but I know that wasn't a record breaking price.

Ruby? When was the last time I bought one of those? It would have been Quinta do Noval, but I don't remember the price.
Daniel R.

Post by Daniel R. »

Porto Tawny Essentia for 3,59 Euros (yes, for a .750 bottle)?
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

At Continente super grocery store in Portugal I've seen some Vasconcellos cheap port at 3,99euros.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Symon B

Post by Symon B »

hi the marks and spencers was a LB but fine any port goes cheapest in a retail store if poss symonb
Rob C.

Post by Rob C. »

Symon,

Was the Marks and Spencer LBV any good? They have a few left over at my local store, though prices are back up to £12 or £13 I think.

We had their 1989 and 1994 VPs last month (Morgan, from what I can tell on the internet) which, at £21 and £24 respectively, seemed reasonable value (though I am in no hurry to repurchase).

I'm mulling over a few bottles of the Tesco 1994 VP (produced by Symington, but no further details), which at £15.50 per bottle from their online shop seems a great price even if, as google suggests, it is only a secondary blend that can't live with the front line VPs from that vintage.
Symon B

Post by Symon B »

the m and s port we had was ok for puting in your port we did not like it to drink it was unbalanced and had no layers
i think it was the xmas spesial with the stilton in a box round shape bottle but you could buy it seperate the whole package was 15 quid on a pre xmas deal here in ireland it was bad symonb
it was much worse than cockburns we see in uk pubs which is actualy ok for a pub quality port
i wonder who made the m [rotfl.gif] and s port
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Rob C. wrote:I'm mulling over a few bottles of the Tesco 1994 VP (produced by Symington, but no further details), which at £15.50 per bottle from their online shop seems a great price even if, as google suggests, it is only a secondary blend that can't live with the front line VPs from that vintage.
I'd try a secondary 1994 for that price. I've never met a 1994 I didn't like.
Symon B

Post by Symon B »

the tesco 1994 lb symingtons looks good but here its 24e per bottle il try it in the nexed month from a truly great vintage the uk price wants snaped up symonb
:thumbsup: :yumyum:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

My all time favorite LBV remains the 1994 Quinta do Noval LBV. I have 8 left, but they're in a cellar far far away. :(
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
goncalo devesas

Post by goncalo devesas »

Armilar Port has been sold at 3.29€ :shock: in LIDL, does it really worth ??
Ok, with huge amounts, the price per bottle will be 20/30cents, but after you have the labels, corks, the bottling, staff and transportation costs... [shrug.gif]
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

The least expensive that I've seen is Porto Morgado for $5.00 (750 ml).
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I can assure you that some of the categories mentioned here, will be bested in pricing by the upcoming FTLOP Port Buying Op. :mrgreen:

Yes, I know I am a tease but you only have two more days to wait until you can see for yourself. :evil:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Symon B

Post by Symon B »

well i think we need to try some of these get down dirty cheap ports just in case some are super and soon with the world colaps exelerating we need to sit prim with some ports to drink at 100ds per case yes folks 100 ds per case
one recomentation that i bet only a handfull of portlovers will have herd of is jennings port from cockermouth my old home town its lovely i think blended but it was 9 quid last time i had it lovely port i think they may hav had contact with the famouse jeferies wine merchants of whitehaven uk that were in 18thc and 19thc 2othc whitehaven uk and they became big in the usa john paul johns has a pub named after him in that town and johnathan swift of gullivers travels fame lived there in his younger days do try the jennings port if you get chance similar to sandemans style even the blended i bet there is no notes on jennings ports come on usa order a bottle direct if they still sell it and give us an opinion symonb :winebath: [bye2.gif] [bye2.gif] :thanks: :clap: