1977 Morgan’s Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

nicos neocleous

1977 Morgan’s Vintage Port

Post by nicos neocleous »

1977 Morgan’s Vintage Port (Douro, Portugal)

I volunteered to bring along a decent Port with Charles’ expertly chosen cheese course consisting of five wholly English cheeses. Such patriotism! From the excellent 1977 Silver Jubilee Anniversary year. I decanted the Port for two hours just after breakfast and poured it back into the bottle, and we drank it 6 hours later. Deep strawberry red, the nose initially showed some volatile acidity, a hint of alcohol and dry fig. The palate was far better, with a rich Christmas cake profile, good acidity, a long length. It improved with air and the bottle was polished off in little time, always a good sign. I believe decanting it for 4-6 hours before pouring it back into the bottle for serving would have helped, but this is a small point.
YOLO
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1977 Morgan’s Vintage Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Nico,
I've had very little of Morgan's Port, particularly the 1991 which the UK folks bought a massive amount of cases of and the 1945. Both were very good bottles and I was impressed. I'll have to keep an eye out for this and give it a go if the price is right, thanks.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
nicos neocleous

Post by nicos neocleous »

Andy,
Yes we all bought loads of the 1991, including me. The 1977 is worthy, if you can find it. I have tried the 1985 which is a very nice house Port, but not up to the 1991.

Cheers,
Nicos
YOLO
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thanks Nicos.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com