What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Paul_B

Re: What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

Post by Paul_B »

1x Delaforce1994 VP
6x Quinta de Vale Meao 2007 VP (I'm going on Roy's tasting notes and final ranking)

cheers
Paul
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

David Spriggs wrote: Purchased in the UK with several other ports. These are some of the nicest looking bottles I've seen in a while. English bottled by Justerini & Brooks.

You can the bottles here: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4037/463 ... b783_b.jpg
Nice.
Tom D.
Steve Pollack

Post by Steve Pollack »

2 x 1952 Dalva Golden White and 1 x 1967 Dalva Colheita. And a BUNCH of Madeiras, but that's off topic! [cheers.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Paul wrote:
6x Quinta de Vale Meao 2007 VP (I'm going on Roy's tasting notes and final ranking)
I had it again last month and it was superb and then last Wednesday night, Vito Olazabal joined us for our last dinner before heading to Madeira. We had a lot of Meao that night and the 2007 DOC and VP were both stellar. I stand by my score and ranking of the Meao (not that you'd expect me to change horses mid-stream).
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Roy - Do you know if any of the 2007 Vale Meao Vintage Port if going to be imported to the US? From what I can tell, no one seems to have it.
Paul_B

Post by Paul_B »

Roy Hersh wrote:Paul wrote:
I had it again last month and it was superb and then last Wednesday night, Vito Olazabal joined us for our last dinner before heading to Madeira. We had a lot of Meao that night and the 2007 DOC and VP were both stellar. I stand by my score and ranking of the Meao (not that you'd expect me to change horses mid-stream).
I'm actually putting it away for my son who was born in 2007, that and a 6pack of Graham's. There are very slim pickings of 2007 within a reasonable price available in this market. My salary hasn't increased at the pace that these vintage releases increase... 2000, 2003, 2007... and all this comes from the ever shrinking thin slice of "disposable income" asigned to hobbies, luxury items, nice to haves but not critical you know the drill.

/Paul
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

David Spriggs wrote:Roy - Do you know if any of the 2007 Vale Meao Vintage Port if going to be imported to the US? From what I can tell, no one seems to have it.
I've been looking everywhere and I can't find it, so my guess is that it's not being imported. If you do find any, please let me know (and I'll do the same)!
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Picked up a 375 of Porto Rocha 20-year old today for a hefty $30, but I'm in desperate need of a tawny and a cellar defender so I had to do it.

That should last me to the weekend, at which point I'll head to Costco and get a couple of full size Fonseca 20-year olds for a much more reasonable $40 each.
Glenn Elliott
Gerwin de Graaf

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

It's been somewhat more that one week, but during our holiday in the Douro / Porto from May 1st - May 11th, we picked up some nice items (although the prices in Porto are no bargains by the way!):

At our visit (and fantastic tasting) to Oscar´s winery (Quevedo), we took on board some (more) of his ports among which are:
White, 10-years old, 1992 Colheita, 1994 Colheita and some Q do Trovista 1999 (Table wine). [yahoo.gif]

Furthermore we went (among others) to visit the lodge of vasconcellas (small Port house, only available at their location in VdNG) and got to taste their full range of tawny's. Their 20 yo Special Reserve and 40 yo are absolutely fabulous, so I could not resist to take along a bottle of each. Especially their 40 yo (which in fact is much and much older, but due to regulations it has to be named 40 yo) has an aftertaste that lingers on just about forever. [notworthy.gif]

Sometimes, taking the car instead of a plane, is such a great idea if one wants to purchase some nice bottles :lol: :lol: [yahoo.gif]
Claus P

Post by Claus P »

Burmester:

1990 colheita x 12 at $16
2003 LBV x 12 at $10

pocas 2001 LBV at $11

The Burmesters are part of an ongoing sale from the danish importer, and they just keep coming up with these kind of offers :winebath:

Claus
dom carter

Post by dom carter »

Hi,

1x Quinta do Noval VP 1975 - $57 (i know not a great year but it's my birthday this week and i was born in '75, so it'll be opened next weekend)
1 x Taylor's Quinta de Vargellas 1995 - $50
1 x Niepoort LBV 2004 - $23
1 x Dow's 1980 VP - $57 - looking forward to this one!!

Dom
Claus P

Post by Claus P »

2 x rozes VP 2007 at $18 a piece

Claus
Daniel R.

Post by Daniel R. »

11 x 1970 Graham's
1 x 1970 Warre's
€ 47,50 each
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

In my quest to find some Quinta do Roeda SQVP's to try and learn the "Quinta's style" I picked up a 1980. Also got a 1994 Quinta do Crasto VP too.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

a case of the NV Fonseca Bin 27 (375's) for $5.00 each 8--)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

Bin 27 for $5 each--sign me up for that!! [shok.gif] Where????
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

John M. wrote:Bin 27 for $5 each--sign me up for that!! [shok.gif] Where????
K&L Wines. klwines.com Checkout the Marketplace section, I posted about it there.
Michael M.

Post by Michael M. »

dom carter wrote:Hi,

1 x Dow's 1980 VP - $57 - looking forward to this one!!

Dom
A very good price. Congrats! I payed 56 EUR and was very happy about that. Unfortunately the dealer only had 2 bottles. I won't hesitate a second to stock up.
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

1 x 2005 Quinta do Vesuvio @ $40.

Now that I bought from a Christie's auction, they're sending me catalogs. The next NYC wine auction has a case of 1970 Graham's and a case of 1970 Taylor. I've spent my sheckles, so I won't be bidding on those, but that Taylor would be so nice to have. Bottler isn't listed. I did see another auction house that was obviously a little more Port savvy, listing bottlers for 1970 and earlier vintages and bottling years for colheita. I think it was Bonham's & Butterfields, but don't quote me on that.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Menchen wrote:a case of 1970 Graham's and a case of 1970 Taylor.
If anyone would be interested in a group purchase, let me know. I'd love to get my hands on some more '70 Taylor, and wouldn't mind acquiring a couple of '70 Graham as well. But I don't have the funds for a full case, so would need to go in with someone else to do it.
Glenn Elliott