VP: Where to buy in Boston area?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Steve Culhane

VP: Where to buy in Boston area?

Post by Steve Culhane »

Will be heading to Boston next weekend, haven't been in ages...

I think I remember Martignettis (sp?) on some ugly highway North of town, any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Steve, don't forget that you can shop on the Internet and get your order delivered to your Hotel if you're not doing a one day trip. Even though prices are not always the best in the USA, they are far better than in Québec, I've ordered a few times from http://www.sherry-lehmann.com/ and the service and delivery was always A1.

You can always use wine search engine like http://www.wine-searcher.com/
and the new Quebec's owner creation : http://www.globalwinestocks.com/ To locate products you like or wine shop in Boston.

Good shopping!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Charles Weiss

Post by Charles Weiss »

There's a Martignetti's on an ugly highway north of Boston, but a much better one on Soldiers' Field road a little west of town along the Charles River. It's in the Brighton section of Boston. Accessible by public transit ("green line" "Boston College-Commonwealth" branch) is Marty's at Commonwealth Ave and Harvard St in Allston. I'm not as familiar with downtown shops, but Federal Wine and Spirits downtown has a good rep.
A store I like a lot is Wine and Cheese Cask in Somerville (near Inman Sq in Cambridge), though there VP selection is small. Let me know if I can be of any help. I wish Boston had the BYOB culture of Montreal!
Charles
Charles Weiss
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Blanchard's (on Brighton Ave. in Allston) carries quite a few mid-line ports, and for whetever reason they tend to have quite good prices on Martinez VP.
Charles Weiss

Post by Charles Weiss »

Blanchard's is actually on Harvard Street (at Brighton Ave), just a couple of blocks down Harvard St from Marty's.
Charles
Charles Weiss
Steve Culhane

Post by Steve Culhane »

Thanks for your help...

... But the answer to the question is: Buy at the New Hampshire state liquor store on I-95 :D Got a Taylor 20 year old tawny for 36$ and a 2000 VP for 75$.

I tried about 6 different shops, the selection was usually pretty dismal and the prices out of this world (bizarrely, much more expansive than Manhattan).

Steve
Moses Botbol

Port - Boston

Post by Moses Botbol »

Marty's in Allston has the best selection and prices in Boston for port, bar none. They beat several online vendors.
Ted D
Location: Durham, New Hampshire, United States of America - USA

Post by Ted D »

The NH liquor stores (try the ones on I95, both sides) can have shocking values that blow everyone away, Internet merchants including. They can also have "huhhh?" prices that make no sense. Definitly check out Blanchards and Martys as suggested - they are within walking distance of each other. I'm a Blanchards man myself -- nothing against Martys tho.
Any Port in a Storm