Order of Tasting

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Steve H.

Order of Tasting

Post by Steve H. »

Hello All,

I am assembling various port styles from Niepoort for a port tasting evening sometime before Summer. I wanted to keep the House the same in order to maximize the style differences and minimize other differences. So I have Niepoort's: Ruby, 10 year Tawny, LBV 1999, and Vintage Character.

I am looking for advice on the order to serve them in. Also I am looking for advice on which (mature) vintage port year would be a good one to show in this line-up.

Thanks, Steve H
"The purpose of an open mind is to shut it on something True." G.K. Chesterton
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I'd go with the Ruby and Vintage Character face to face; then with the tawny 10 year old. Be sure to make a pause and wash your mouth with bread before getting on the LBV and then the Vintage. You can put Vintage from 87 and earlier I think they are mature enough.

It is important to wash the acidity from the 10 year old away, bread will do the job.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I agree with Fred on the order, Ruby, vintage character, 10 yr, and LBV. If you can find a 1970 Niepoort, then go for it.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I shall reply only because I'll throw in a contrarian view - my personal preference would be to show the Tawny before any of the bottle matured ports. Only because I find them such a different combinations of tastes and flavours that I find they otherwise stand out too much.

My order would be Tawny, Ruby, Vintage Character, LBV, Vintage.

I recently had the Niepoort '91 vintage and would say that this was also ready for drinking.

Alex
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Steve,

Why not serve them all blind and in random order and have everyone guess which style of port each one is?

Just a thought

Derek