Do you prefer Tawny or Vintage Port

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Dorene Hersh
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Do you prefer Tawny or Vintage Port

Post by Dorene Hersh »

I like both and prefer Tawny and chocolate. But on its own, I love Vintage. I realize it is not an either, or situation, but do you have a preference?
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I prefer Vintages on tawny but great tawny and colheita can be as great. I find it easier to finish a bottle of VP than tawny style.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Harris Ueng

Post by Harris Ueng »

Generally, I like VP and LBV's with nice dark chocolate that has fruit/berry overtones.

I actually enjoy tawnies by themselves, often when kicking back to some nice small combo jazz playing over the hi-fi.

Just depends on mood or activity for me.
Jason Brandt Lewis
Location: Berkeley, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jason Brandt Lewis »

Well, as I've said elsewhere, I'm not sure chocolate goes with ANy wine, but that's just personal preference. As for Vintage Porto versus Tawny . . .

a) It all depends upon mood, availability, accompaniments, etc.

b) I tend not to like 40- and 30-Year Tawny Porto; there are a few 20-Year Old Tawnies that I enjoy (Ferreira being my favorite).

c) I do enjoy a number of 10-Year Tawnies, as well as Coheitas -- even ones which have been in wood for a number of years.

d) There is a reason why Vitnage Porto is considered the ultimate expression of Port.

(All IMHO, of course.)

Cheers,
Jason
Porto comes from only one place . . . no matter what the label says!