Vinha Velha

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andreas Platt

Vinha Velha

Post by Andreas Platt »

Hi!

Today i got my Taylor's merchant list, offering the VV for USD 160,- (also in OWC of 3 bottles)

I remembered having read Roy's TN:

Quote" Quinta de Vargellas 1995 Vintage Port Vinha Velha: I have only read about this wine but have never even seen it sold in the USA. This is a very rare bottle (224 cases produced ... selling today for between $500 and $800 per bottle)95"

Should i take this???

Are there more Vintages than this and has anyone tasted any?

BTW: Has anyone recently tasted the '97, '99 or '00 LBV's (USD 15,-)
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Andreas,

I assume that this is the 2000 Vinha Velha. If so, it compares well with the current price in the UK, which is around £100-£130.

Although I own some of the 2000 vintage, I have not tried it and can't comment on how it compares with the '95.

Incidentally, if anyone knows where there are a few bottles of the '95 Vinha Velha available at a sensible price then please let me know.

Alex
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

No-no-no, it's the mentioned '95!!
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Andreas,

I'm sending you a PM

Alex
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I flew to NYC for The Fladgate Partnership's single stop in the USA to release the 2000 Vargellas VV some years back. I don't know why, but I never wound up writing an article or tasting notes and maybe one day I will write it up.

The 2000 was being included in the USA alongside the only two other previously released VVVs in a gift box for $1000 at the time. Singly the 2000s were in their own display box of 3 as well, for an even better price.

As great as those 3 Vargellas VPs were, I prefered the amazingly young classic 1912 and impressive 1955, although the '67 was pretty darn good too.

But my SQVP Vargellas of the day, came from the ONLY vintage up until that point, that had ever been declared the same exact year as a Taylor VP. A stunning Port from a fabulous year that produced just one pipe of this sinful stuff. Wow!
Last edited by Roy Hersh on Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

Roy,

does your post mean that you would not recommend the VV '95 @ USD 150,-?

They have the following regular QdV:

'95@60
'98@50
'01@60

Just curious - thanks in advance.

P.S.: Alex: i sent you an email, let's see how everything turns out.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

At $150 USD the '95 VVV is a real bargain. At $60 the regular Vargellas is an even BETTER bargain.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

You have to put in perspective that there is probably 7000 cases of the Vargellas on the market and only 200 of the Vinha Velha. I bought mine at 200$ us and now at my SAQ they are around 270$us So at 150$us I'd buy some more for sure! You have to compare this to Nacional. I've never tasted them face to face but the same philosophie is behind and for one the price is 3-6 times cheaper depending on places.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

Hi!

From what i have read from Alex, his order should be right in line and allocated.

For those interested in the Vinha Velha '95 i post the regarding infos here.

Mrs. Müller's contact info is:

email: [email protected]

E.&M. MÜLLER GESELLSCHAFT M.B.H.
Weingut und Weinkellerei Generalimporteur großer Weine Champagner und Spirituosen
A-8522 Groß St. Florian
Grazerstraße 71
Tel. (034 64) 22 34, Fax (034 64) 21 16 25

http://www.mueller-wein.at/menglisch/kontakt.html

Austria's national phone code is +43, if you ring them up you shouldn't dial the leading 0 from the districts extension (-> +43 3464 2234).

They also have some regular Vergellas (as mentioned above) and shipping within Europe is no problem (afaik).

If you want to make sure to get the mentioned price you should tell them where you got the info from, as their business isn't mainly to end-customers but more to the trade. Please note: no affiliation .....

Hope the one or other can still secure a bottle (they have some left),

Andreas
jon bricken
Location: ridgefield, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by jon bricken »

I just did a quick wine searcher search and found that the Vargalles '95 is on sale for $39.99 (750ml) at the following NJ wine store.

http://www.valleywineandspirits.com/?ID=17&Item=7792

They seem to ship to quite a few states.

I have never bought from them and have no connection with them.

Just posting because it looks like a deal.
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

Update if anyone is interested: the Müllers have some more Vinha Velha '95 left. My bottles were delivered yesterday: excellent fill, bottles and case.

Glad i bought some.

Greetings,

Andreas