Nerdy Time Again

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Derek T.

Nerdy Time Again

Post by Derek T. »

A couple of other threads on the board have caused me to ponder a rather nerdy question. The threads that have prompted this are Alex's TN for the Croft 1945 and the Virtual Tasting of Fonseca Bin 27.

In both of these threads we have seen wide variations in tasting notes where the same wines are being tasted in different locations. I have started to wonder whether or not something as simple as local room temperature could be a significant contributor to these variations.

Is anyone nerdy enough to know at what ambient temperature they prefer to drink their VP?

If we could establish an ideal then perhaps we could even things out a bit for the next VT and we may get more consistency in the results.

Derek
tvstorey

Post by tvstorey »

Derek,

Living in Phoenix, Arizona, where summer temperatures can top 110 F, I have found that temperature is a highly significant contributor to the perceived characteristics of VP. For my palate, high temperatures bring alcohol to overwhem on the nose and front, a sugary mask on the middle, and roughs up the tannins on the back.

My preferred range for drinking VP would be at a room temperature of 74 F and below. As air-conditioned rooms in Arizona rarely fall much below 78 F in the summer, my port-drinking season comes to a close in May and restarts with the end of the monsoon in September or October. I could stand sipping squeezed inside the cellar door, but that strikes me as a bit desperate and does tend to leave nose smudges on the glass. :)
Tyler Storey
Rui

Post by Rui »

Isn't the choice of stemware a much more likely culprit?
Jay Woodruff

Post by Jay Woodruff »

tvstorey wrote:Derek,

Living in Phoenix, Arizona, where summer temperatures can top 110 F
Being in Phoenix as well, I feel your pain. I tend more towards the tawny in summer.

Other option is to head to Prescott or somewhere cooler and drink.

But when savoring a glass of port I think room temp and glass temp can easily warm a port but I have no real interest in having to rush the experience either. Oh well, just have to be tough and keep drinking port in the desert.

Jay.
- Jay Woodruff.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I tend to drink them at a cool room temp. If I feel there is an excess amount of alcohol showing, then I take Roy's advice and throw it in the fridge for a few to cool it down just a bit. That does seem to help a bit on occassion.

As for time of year, heck who cares, I drink port year round...thats what central air conditioning is for. Just crank that baby up and sit back and enjoy a couple of glasses with friends :twisted:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I also think that the ambient air pressure also has an affect on taste. It can affect the volatility of aromatics so the weather can have it's affect.
Philip Harvey

Post by Philip Harvey »

Derek

I agree that cool room temperature, say 17 - 18c is best for my tastes.

For example, the mystery Smith Woodhouse that we discussed on the forum last week. At room temperature (say 21 - 22c) this just seemed a bit dull and flat. Brought up to around 18c from a 1/2 bottle I kept in the fridge for a day, this was a different wine - really bright and fresh. Sure, the extra day's decant made a difference but not that much.

Philip