Port- as a comfort in my old age

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Dale B.

Port- as a comfort in my old age

Post by Dale B. »

Does anyone have any suggestions for good port which I can get now that will last me until I am able to drink no more. I'm 62 now and plan on reaching 90...hopefully drinking port along the way. I have loaded up with my favorite Warre's '03. I am also particularly fond of the Quinta de Vargellas '05, although I don't know how long they will drink well. I have a few '85 Warre's that are drinking well now and also some Warre's '94. In addition, I have cases of Churchill's 2003 VP, Nieport 2003 VP, and Dow's 1985, 2000, and 2003 VP. Also, I have a stash of Dow's Crusted Port, of which my wife is especially fond. I know this sounds pretty disorganized (and I am!) but if anyone has some other suggestions for buying now, as well as later, I'd be most appreciative. It wouldn't be so terrible if my port survived me, as our children have a fondness for port. We opened up an '85 Warre's last Christmas and the kids were wild about it, so I know none of the port which survuves me will go to waste. Anyway, please expound and help me as I am more of a port fan than an expert. Thank you!
Moses Botbol

Re: Port- as a comfort in my old age

Post by Moses Botbol »

Just about any big name vintage from the 90's on will last 30+ years. That being said, Warre 2007 is really impressive. 1994 Nacional and 2000 Dow two of many excellent bottles to consider. The list is too big of worthy ports for you to buy.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I think 1994 Taylor will be one for the ages. 1997 or 2003 Quinta do Noval might be worth adding to your list. After that, I would consider some Quinta do Vesuvio, Niepoort, Smith Woodhouse, and Grahams if you like their style; but I can't say which years will be best.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Where to start?

Just about any 1994, but the Fonseca, Taylor, and Vesuvio in particular.
1997 Noval, 2000 Niepoort, 2003 Portal (all 3 lifted from Roy's Top 12 article linked on the main FTLOP page)
2000 Vesuvio, 2000 Fonseca
2003 Noval, 2003 Graham
2005 Vesuvio
2007 Noval, 2007 Vale do Meao, 2007 Portal, 2007 Duorum

And since you like the 2005 Vargellas, I've had the 2008 Vargellas and it's a stunner as well. I can't speak for the long-term ageability of the 2005, but I think the 2008 will easily last 30-40 years.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Might want to get some LBV as well. I'd go with the "traditional" or "unfiltered" versions. These will keep and improve in the bottle and can be enjoyed while you're waiting for your Vintage Port to mature.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Lots of ideas for you so far, but before I give you my thoughts, a couple of questions for me to fire back at you.

How much port do you like to drink in a year? The more you drink, the more choices we can suggest for you to select from.

What sort of age of port do you like drinking? Clearly the answer to that will have a huge influence on what you should be buying now for drinking over the next 30 years. If you like 100 year old ports, you'd better focus your current buying on 1910-1940. If you like 30 year old ports then you can buy from the 1980-2010 vintages.

So what is your taste?
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Well done Alex! [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Dale B.

Post by Dale B. »

Thanks for all the great responses; it's been quite illuminating to hear your suggestions. Al, thanks so much for the queries- it started us thinking...there aren't too many ports that we've tried that we don't like. As a general rule, we like a port that has a lot of mouth feel as well as some tannins- that's one thing we've found out about ourselves. We were at the Rio in Las Vegas and just fell in love with the 1985 Dow's. We were less enthusiastic about the others. Not having our notes in front of me right now (my wife's notes...) I like sweeter-tasting ports- I have a fondness for Pedro Ximenez as well as Australian "stickies," but they lack the complexity of port. My wife likes Warre's; she also enjoys Taylor LBV 2003. We love port but really don't know enough to describe what we like...but we've surely had a wonderful time trying to figure it out! In our port buying, we've tried to purchase ports that will cellar for a long time. You asked how many bottles we drink a year...maybe 20. A lot of those are one-offs that we've bought to taste while we're traveling. It seems that when we return home, we're always on a diet- mostly doing pennance for our indulgences :D I know to you old hands we're just amateurs, but we are enthusiastic...and we have a cellar that will hold a lot of wine. Thank you all so much- we are learning so much from all of you on FTLOP!
Kurt Wieneke

Post by Kurt Wieneke »

Dale,
I sensed you all take a shine to Warre's and tannins. Then I would be remiss not to recommend the Warre's Late Bottled Vintage Ports from 1994, 1995, and 1999. Traditional and unfiltered style, can be enjoyed now or later.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Dale B.,

Tell some of your friends to come join us here and take part in the discussions. The more Port enthusiasts, whether rank beginner, intermediate or expert ... makes for a great community. Glad you are here and adding such intersting topics!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

Dale,

Being that you enjoy the Warre's style in particular I would suggest trying the 1997 (if you haven't already). I've had most of their Vintage Ports from 1977 to present and the '97 is my favorite of the bunch - it has gobs and gobs of big, luscious fruit, wonderful balance, and should last for several decades at least. A couple of other big, opulent ports with long-term aging potential that come to mind are the Quinta do Portal 2003 (already mentioned by Glenn E.) and the Quinta do Crasto 1994, both of which can be found for relatively affordable prices. For huge tannins I'd suggest Niepoort 1997.

Happy drinking! :winebath:
The Port Maverick