Any Port-related New Year's Resolutions!

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Any Port-related New Year's Resolutions!

Post by Roy Hersh »

Mine is: "I will resist all temptations to open any bottle of Vintage Port ... on which it is written on the label: 1983 Cockburn's! :evil:

On a brighter note, I plan to open more LBVs in 2011 than I did in 2010. :yumyum:

I need something easy to achieve: Ok .. I will get my FTLOP Forum post total down below 15% for the first time ever (although it has never exceeded 16% since the end of 2005).

It is currently at 15.08%. [rotfl.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Re: Any Port-related New Year's Resolutions!

Post by Eric Ifune »

Spend less money on Port, Maderia and other wine than 2010!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Build a cellar. Failing that (if it just won't fit in the basement where I want it), buy a wine refrigerator.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Eric M.,

So if you were a betting man, which do you believe would be the most likely outcome?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Claus R

Post by Claus R »

Buy (moderately :lol:) and try some more Ports

/claus
Daniel R.

Post by Daniel R. »

Buy less; drink more!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Build up my Taylor and Fonseca collection. I don't think I have a complete case of any particular Taylor or Fonseca vintage.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Russ K

Post by Russ K »

continue to have patience to allow these wines to reach the peak!
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Take the time to enjoy life more than I did last year and drink more Port.

(and visit FTLOP more often!!!)
Gerwin de Graaf

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

We're going to fully renovate our backgarden, and placing a large gardenhouse. When working on this I am trying to squeeze in my plan to build a wine/port cellar.
dom carter

Post by dom carter »

Drink more of it!!

Not very original - i like to go with what i know!!!!!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Remodel the kitchen
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

Open some of the old Vintage Ports I've been accumulating. After a number of years of working to educate myself and my palate in the relatively new world of Port, and even though I'm convinced we never stop learning when it comes to wine, I finally feel in a position to appreciate some really great ones. And in keeping with my general wine philosophy of not hoarding great bottles for a super-special occasion that never seems to come, I hope to be opening some good bottles with regularity in the coming year -- anyone up for an offline in Madison?
[cheers.gif]
Tom D.
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Andy,

While you're at it, there's also a BBQ in your backyard that has seen better days...

Marc
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Roy Hersh wrote:Eric M., So if you were a betting man, which do you believe would be the most likely outcome?
Well, I already passed on two cellar chillers available on craigslist, so I guess I'm not putting money on it. But I still give it 50-50 odds.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Marc J. wrote:Andy,

While you're at it, there's also a BBQ in your backyard that has seen better days...

Marc
Hey Hey Hey, give the "Easy Bake BBQ" a break :lol: Actually I plan on getting a new one this spring. And a funny thing is I just came across the original receipt for it. My mom won it in a contest at work back in 1992!!!!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Andy,

So you already have a relatively new BBQ. I bought a new Weber charcoal grill this past summer. I kept the old one "just in case" and have used both simultaneously only 1x. That said, my former wife's grandfather gave us his Weber (seen in the youtube piece with the Port tongs) back in 1987. I have no idea how many years he had used it before he gave it to us, but it has served me well for 23 years now. I'd love to get a gas one at some point, but I really do prefer the charcoal flavor.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Andy,

So you already have a relatively new BBQ. I bought a new Weber charcoal grill this past summer. I kept the old one "just in case" and have used both simultaneously only 1x. That said, my former wife's grandfather gave us his Weber (seen in the youtube piece with the Port tongs) back in 1987. I have no idea how many years he had used it before he gave it to us, but it has served me well for 23 years now. I'd love to get a gas one at some point, but I really do prefer the charcoal flavor.
At least yours looks like a BBQ. I also like charcoal but hate the mess associated with them now that I've been using gas for so long....guess I got spoiled.
Espen S.

Post by Espen S. »

Try new types of Port. Still need to try 20 and 40 y.o. tawnies, colheitas, white port, garrafeira, crusted, etc etc..
very imPORTant person
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

Hi Roy!

You stated:
"Mine is: "I will resist all temptations to open any bottle of Vintage Port ... on which it is written on the label: 1983 Cockburn's!"
at the start of this thread.

On the FTLOP-front page you have listed your Top 12 Vintage Ports, and there 1983 Cockburn is included.

As your guidance for the Top 12 is important for many of us, does that result into 1983 Cockburn being replaced by another vintage port?
If so, which one?