1983 Gould Campbell Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Espen S.

1983 Gould Campbell Vintage Port

Post by Espen S. »

Tasted on 2011/01/26-27

Both me and this wine was born this year. Had this for my birthday.

No signs of leakage, and the bottle looks brand new and very well stored. Wine seems to be in as perfect condition as possible.

Very nice deep brownish red color on this one. Even without decanting, this is very vibrant and open. The nose is just gorgeous and filled the room the moment I removed the cork (that broke in half, as always).
On the palate this is a massive dose of licorice. Really overwhelming, but pleasant. Also getting sweet, ripe fruits. Acidity is very good, and the tannins are still present, although very soft. Big concentrated mouthfeel.
I'm not able to name a lot of flavors somehow.. but this is delicious. I really like this wine, one of the better VP's I've had so far, and by far the best in a long time. 93-94/100. Can't decide.
very imPORTant person
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: 1983 Gould Campbell VP

Post by Glenn E. »

Thanks for the TN, Espen. We're having this at the tasting this weekend and it sounds excellent!
Glenn Elliott
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Oh....sounds great! Thanks for the note!
Espen S.

Post by Espen S. »

Day 3, and it's still holding up. Never had that experience with a VP. Brilliant. :D
very imPORTant person
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I've not had the 1983 GC, but all the 1983s I've had have been wonderful. Thanks for the note.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

One of my favorites of the vintage. I remember how upset I was when it jumped for $19 where it had been for several years ... and then went to $29, equivalent at the time to the 1977 version. Then two more years later, I bought my last cases when it went to $39 and said, "no mas" figuring I had enough to last for ... my natural born days. When these 83GC bottles shine, it is a brilliant and under-valued VP.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jay Hack

Post by Jay Hack »

I agree, except that as to this being your birth year wine, $@#% *&@. My note:
  • 1983 Gould Campbell Porto Vintage - Portugal, Douro, Porto (6/22/2010)
    Bought on Roy Hersh's recommendation. If there's one thing he knows, it's port. Double decanted back into the bottle at 7:30 am, recorked, and put into 57 degree wine fridge at 9:00am. Removed at 6:15 and opened for drinking at about 9:30 at the end of Leo's Blind Tasting Club at Rothman's Restaurant in NYC. The was not a poweful port, but an elegant one instead. There was a delicacy you do not normally get in VP, which may in part be the age. The color was normal - dark red, with no signs of age, but a little bit on the light side. When I decanted it in the morning, the nose was alcoholic, but when reopened, the nose was Touriga Nacional red fruit. The palate was red and black fruit, light roasted nuts, and a bit of very soft citrus which I found surprising but interesting in adding to the complexity. It was extremely smooth and wonderful to drink. (93 pts.)
Thanks Roy
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

That guy's over-rated. [berserker.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com