Article on RAMOS PINTO

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Dorene H.

Article on RAMOS PINTO

Post by Dorene H. »

Eric Menchen

Re: Article on RAMOS PINTO

Post by Eric Menchen »

I liked the Scion article. This one is worthwhile, but I am distracted by some bad grammar, typos, and ...
... yet the savage beauty of the Douro River valley has changed little.
Well, they blew up and removed some rock in the upper portions to take out the rapids in the 1800s, and they put in some dams in the 1900s. The valley itself is still beautiful, but some of the savageness of the river has changed, IMHO.
When the Douro region became an independent kingdom in the 12th century, the predecessor of what we know today as Port began production.
I think if you're going to go back to the 12th century for the predecessor, you ought to go back even further. I think there has been wine production in the Douro since Roman times.
To avoid confusion, it is worth noting that labels on Port wines use the name “Porto” to refer to the wine, while most references outside Portugal prefer “Port.”
Isn't it a U.S. labeling requirement to use "Porto"?
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Eric,

Doesn't it amaze you that they don't use an editor?

At least I have an excuse! :beat:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:I liked the Scion article. This one is worthwhile, but I am distracted by some bad grammar, typos, and ...
... yet the savage beauty of the Douro River valley has changed little.
Well, they blew up and removed some rock in the upper portions to take out the rapids in the 1800s, and they put in some dams in the 1900s. The valley itself is still beautiful, but some of the savageness of the river has changed, IMHO.
When the Douro region became an independent kingdom in the 12th century, the predecessor of what we know today as Port began production.
I think if you're going to go back to the 12th century for the predecessor, you ought to go back even further. I think there has been wine production in the Douro since Roman times.
To avoid confusion, it is worth noting that labels on Port wines use the name “Porto” to refer to the wine, while most references outside Portugal prefer “Port.”
Isn't it a U.S. labeling requirement to use "Porto"?
[rotfl.gif] :thumbsup:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com