Fonseca 2000 again

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

David G.

Fonseca 2000 again

Post by David G. »

Fonseca 2000 again at a low price

52.99 / 750 ml
285.99 / case (6)

http://www.mainstreetwines.com/pc-11052 ... -2000.aspx
They appear to ship at normal to slightly high shipping rates.

I have never shopped from them and have no self-interest in them.
jon bricken
Location: ridgefield, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by jon bricken »

I tried the Fonseca 2000 as a result of another posting on these boards.

It was the best young port which I have ever tasted.

I decided to look for more and when I saw this offer I jumped on it.

The e-mail recipt just says Fonseca 2000.

I went to pick them up today.

On returning home I notices that the bottles are not labeled with the standard Fonseca label (I have other 2000 etc...) but instead these are labeled as Jose Maria Fonseca & van Zeller.

Is this really Fonseca VP using another label in 2000? or is this another shipper in conjunction with Fonseca?

I have called Main Street Wines and they are calling their distributor Martin Scott to get an answer.

Any help would be appreciated.
tvstorey

Post by tvstorey »

Jon,

The wine you bought is not a Fonseca vintage port, nor in any direct way associated with what we think of as Fonseca.

Fonseca VP is produced by Fonseca Guimaraens. The wine you bought, from Jose Maria Fonseca & van Zeller is made by the company of that name, an enterprise of Christian vanZeller.

That doesn't mean it's a bad wine -- have never tasted it and don't recall anyone else's notes. But, good or bad, it is not the wine you thought you were getting. I took a look at the link: I don't know Main Street Wines, but they really ought not to be listing it as Fonseca.

Tyler
Tyler Storey
jon bricken

Post by jon bricken »

Tyler, I wanted to thank you for the information about the difference between these producers.

The recipt which I received from Main Street Wines & Spirits does say that the wine purchased is Fonseca Port 2000.

I have contacted them asking foe either a full refund or to exchange the wine for what was represented on their web page.

Once again thanks for the quick info.
David G.

Post by David G. »

If it is deliberate, advertising the other Jose Maria Fonseca as Fonseca would be very deceptive. I hope the seller makes it right for you, and corrects their web site for others.

I don't have an account over on the Mark Squires board but that's where I saw this. Perhaps someone who has an account there could update that thread.
jon bricken

Post by jon bricken »

Main Street Wines & Spirits contacted me, and informedme that they would honor the purchase. Their distributor, Martin Scott, is shipping them a case of Fonseca 2000. They have offered to ship it to me at N/C and include a call tag to return the "wrong" port.

I need to be in their area tomorrow, Thursday, and will stop in a pick it up.

I noticed that they have pulled this offer from the web site.

Hopefully all's well that ends well, and it will if I truly get the cs of Fonseca.

Once again thanks for all the help.
David G.

Post by David G. »

I am glad to hear they are making it right. That is a very important part of customer service.
jon bricken

Post by jon bricken »

Main Street Wines & Spirits kept telling me that Martin Scott, the distributor, would deliver the wine to them.

First Martin Scott supposedly sent the wrong port again.

Then Main Street would not call me back and I kept getting different stories from different employes.

So today I drove back to the store and returned the wine and was credited back to my card the full amount.

Dissapointing because I really wanted a case of the Fonseca 2000.

All good things come to those who wait.

I know that I will have another opportunity soon.
tvstorey

Post by tvstorey »

Jon,

Sometimes the hunt is better than the capture. I have a case of the 1994 Warre that I (irrationally) value all the more because I had to pry it out of the merchant after they regretted their advertised price. I'll never forget lugging that wooden box home on the Washington, DC, Metro, happy beyond all proportion.

If your wine store had come through with the "real" Fonseca you would have got it an exceptional price. I have noticed that one of my favorite wine stores, the Wine Exchange (winex.com) in Orange, California, has the 2000 Fonseca at a very good price, $69.99. I have a very high opinion of them and would recommend them without reservation. Some years ago at the end of a business trip I discarded a perfectly servicable lot of socks and underclothes to make room in my luggage for a great deal they were offering on the 1983 Dow -- a worthwhile exchange even if I did arrive home with rather smelly feet. (I have no association with them other than being a happy customer for many years).

You might want to take a look at their site.

Good hunting,
Tyler Storey
jon bricken

Post by jon bricken »

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I do see, via wine searcher, that Fonseca can be had for $69.99 from more than one source.

What interested me about Main Street was there location and the chance that I would have found another local source of ports.

I do intend to pick upanother case at one of the other locations because I was so blown away with the wine.

Once again thanks.