Retail in Seattle area?

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Santo Roman
Location: Kirkland, Washington, United States of America - USA

Retail in Seattle area?

Post by Santo Roman »

Have not been on in a bit but wanted to ask a question to the local Seattle people. If a wine shop on the east side of Lake Washington had a pretty decent selection of Ports and Madeira would you visit and buy or just cruise and pass? Prices would be set a good as they could be since the three-tier system the state has tends to grab your cork and squeeze a bit. Would probably offer discounts of around 20% on a mix case of wine which would include our lovely juice. Would have a section just for ports & madeira plus tastings a few times a year. Thoughts please? I'd love to say that I could be some prices on the east coast or even CA but chances are slim but I'd do what I could to get it down as much as I could. I mean it's not like people are going to be banging the door down to pick up vintage ports or madeira but there needs to be a place where people can come and see these types of juice.

Thanks.

Santo
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Retail in Seattle area?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Redmond Fine Wine & Cigar is the shop that fits the bill. Although pricing is not always advantageous (being kind) if you join their club, the discounts are better and they hold several Port tastings each year. They carry lots of Port and a handful of Madeira bottlings. In Seattle, Esquin has a decent display, as does Pete's (both locations) but the best is certainly The Spanish Table below the market on Western Ave.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I try to support the local shops as much as possible, but because of the taxes and the 3-tier system that you mentioned I only rarely buy higher-end juice from them. I'll pick up the occasional 20-yr old Tawny and/or LBV, but that's about it.

All of the ones that Roy mentioned are good. In addition there's World of Wines in Redmond not too far from Fine Wines & Cigars - they were able to get the 2007 Noval for me when the others couldn't, so deserve mention.
Glenn Elliott
Santo Roman

Post by Santo Roman »

Thanks guys. I'm kinda a big fan of World of wines since Kathy and I used to work together and I know Allen pretty well. Just trying to figure out who has the best selection in town for our juice. I know most do not have over VP or VM cause of the price. FWC does seem to be a bit more pricey but if you do join the club it helps. I don't join clubs. Feel like they put people above others when all the prices should be the same no matter who the person is. Was going to pick up a 77 Madeira at FWC but it was around $25 more than other places. Settled for the 1982 PX sherry instead.

Santo
Andrew E

Post by Andrew E »

I agree with Roy on Redmond Fine Wine & Cigar. I accidentally ran into this shop and while they're prices are a bit high on some things, they do keep a wider selection than your average shop.
Santo Roman

Post by Santo Roman »

Overall I'm trying to get an idea of what ports one should bring in if they were to open a shop in the area. I know that most people do not drink port like most of us do but also would never want to leave the port drinkers out. Trying to get an idea of which ports to bring in for the public knowing that it would not be the money maker for the shop but more for myself and a select few in the area. I did head to FWC and looked around and they seem to have less now of day and the prices seemed a bit high but if you join the club it does get better. I'm just not one who wants to install a club into a wine shop nor do I join then. I feel it sets a type of class level in the shop and I'd like to keep everyone equal on the same buying level.

Santo
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I see nothing wrong with a wine club, just believe that it should be free, or at the very most, something earned when a regular customer reaches a certain level of purchases (say, $1,000) or whatever. But I know what you are saying. I would surely offer up three or four of the top Ruby Reserves, a handful of 10 and 20 year old Tawnies, a smattering of LBV's and a few VP's and Colheitas too. No more than 20 total selections at a time though, unless you are looking to be seen as a specialty shop for Ports.

What about Madeira and Douro wines? 8--)
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Santo Roman

Post by Santo Roman »

Roy,

Def some Douro wines and Madeira's. Might not be the anything from the late 18th century but would like to have at least one from the late 19th. I know that most will not buy it but for that one person who is looking for something that his buddy has never tried or just wants something special in his cellar, I'll have it. I'm still debating on putting WS & RP scores since I think they are being thrown out for everything. Portugal will have a nice little sections considering the amount of great wines they make and since no one else carries them since they don't hit the sheets as 98 pointers. I'd like to get a section of around 10-15 wines from Portugal + the 20% Portugal/Madeira section as well. They deserve that and I'd like people to taste what I have and maybe if we are lucky we can being that area of the world back to life.

santo

I like the free club idea. Really tired of people telling me I need to pay $50 extra a year in order to get an extra 5-10% off.