need ideas for a short trip (douro,gaia,porto,lisbon)

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Paul_B

need ideas for a short trip (douro,gaia,porto,lisbon)

Post by Paul_B »

Hi all,

a customer of mine will be spending a little more than 1 week in Portugal soon and asked me for some suggestions. I in turn need some help to formulate this to him and his fiance.

I was thinking 1 night in Porto, then visit a couple of brands in Gaia and the train or boat to Gaia, 1 night in a B&B/vineyard in the Douro.
Then back to Porto, non-stop bus to Lisboa.
The question I have is to get to Douro, is it better up by train and back by boat or up by boat and back by train? Then depending on the choice is there any Port Vineyard (with wine too) with guest rooms that is close by the train stain or spot where the Boat arrives? I also understand the boat schedule isnt very day so maybe up by train is best and if there is a boat then maybe arrange for a small trip once in the DOuro and then come back by Bus.

If you are a B&B or vineyard owner or someone with someone specific to offer as part of this feel free to send me private email with your suggestions if you don't wish to post your response in case that isn't appropriate for this forum.

thanks
Paul
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: need ideas for a short trip (douro,gaia,porto,lisbon)

Post by Andy Velebil »

Hi Paul,

GAIA:
Some Lodges to see are Dalva (Goncalo is a friend of many here), Graham's, Sandeman (great museum), Ferreira (also a good museum), Kopke (very good by the glass tasting), Those should keep him busy and very happy by the end :drunk:

UP RIVER:
This is tricky as timing is always the issue. Without a doubt the train is the way to go for the easiest way to get into the Douro Valley. It's also very picturesque so worth taking the 2 to 2.5 hour ride.

If he stays at Quinta Nova they will pick him up at the train station and return him there when it's time to leave (it's about 1 or 2 miles from the train station). It's a beautiful place, great rooms, great food, and great people. It's also more remote and will give him a true sense of the Douro and life on a Quinta. Plus they have hiking trails in the vineyards and all the wine/port he could possibly want to taste.
http://www.quintanova.com/client/skins/ ... urismo.asp

Sadly with only one day there, and taking travel times into account, he won't have time to do much more.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Paul_B

Post by Paul_B »

Thanks Andy,

sounds very good.

Years ago I had lunch at Taylor's in Gaia, not sure if that restaurant is still around, but it was amazing experience.

Thanks
Paul
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Paul_B wrote:Thanks Andy,

sounds very good.

Years ago I had lunch at Taylor's in Gaia, not sure if that restaurant is still around, but it was amazing experience.

Thanks
Paul
Yes it is and I forgot to add that one :oops: , a great place for lunch
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Don't forget the Ramos Pinto lodge - it has a much larger museum than Sandeman, but you have to be on the tour to see the museum. (Unlike Sandeman, where you can just wander in and tour the museum on your own.) Make sure to make an appointment for your tour so that you can pick the language; if you just show up and join one there's no telling which language it will be in. You can probably call the day of (or stop by) in order to make your appointment - all you're really doing is setting up a particular language tour at a particular time, and they're very flexible and friendly about it.

Definitely Dalva and Graham.

Lunch at the Taylor restaurant. Hop across the street and tour the brand new Yeatman Hotel.

Vinologia and/or the Solar do Vinho do Porto (both in Porto) for after dinner drinks.
Glenn Elliott
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

Taylors is pretty special for dinner too. It's a great view across the river with Porto and the bridge lit up.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Taylor would be a high end fancy place to eat with an amazing view. If not for dinner, go for post-dinner walk and dessert/drinks.

Portal is a nice place to stay in the Douro. I'd imagine they would either pick you up have a taxi ready for your train. Quinta de la Rosa has nice modest rooms with a wonderful view. Looks like any lodging at a quinta is going to need a ride to get to from the train stations as the train is near the river and quinta lodging is up hills a bit.

Train is the best way to go
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars