The Best Cigar I Ever Smoked

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

The Best Cigar I Ever Smoked

Post by Roy Hersh »

Last weekend I was visiting Andy in LA and met some of his friends and FTLOPers too. Alex R. from the Forum was at Andy's with his wife and we were all smoking cigars. Along with the others, each had a:

Size:Double Coronas(Prominente)
Brand: Hoyo de Monterrey de Jose Gener
box date 07/2001

Unquestionably the best cigar I have ever smoked.

Has anybody else tried these?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Re: The Best Cigar I Ever Smoked

Post by Moses Botbol »

I am not a big Hoyo DC fan, but a lot of people are. I am sure it was nice. '01 is a sketchy year for Habanos. They can be hit or miss, but I find some of the more exclusive vitolas and cabinet models fare better as your Hoyo did.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I still have a couple of boxes from the early 1990's. A very fine cigar. I'll break some out next time we see each other. Punches are also very nice. I also like the Hoyo Churchills.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I must say it was a very good cigar and very full-bodied. Although the colheita we had was a very good youngster it just couldn't hold up against such a full bodied cigar. It definitely needed that Madeira to cut through it and made for a much nicer pairing IMO.

I must say, the best I've had so far was a Monte Cristo A. What a whopper of a cigar at 9 1/4" long! Of course, that may have been more the setting and company, but what a fun cigar...and talk about smoking it for over 2 hours :shock: I don't think that building will ever be the same again :twisted:

Thanks to Alex and Sean, I've really taken a liking to good cigars.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

andy velebil wrote:I must say, the best I've had so far was a Monte Cristo A. What a whopper of a cigar at 9 1/4" long!

Thanks to Alex and Sean, I've really taken a liking to good cigars.
I love the Monte A! I just got a box last week, what a Wower to open! I have few boxes of the individal coffined A's too.

In general, I find Madeira to be a better match then port for cigars. I am still going to smoke cigars with port either way.

Trinidad Fundadores is my favorite cigar with port or madeira.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I've a few A's left as well. Also a few Sancho Sanchos. You need a couple of hours of leisure at least for these babies! I usually prefer Scotch with my cigars. The smokiness of the drink goes with the smokiness of the cigar.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Give me a pretty 20 or 30 year old, Port of course, to pair with a fine cigar. 10 year old Broadbent Malmsey always delivers too.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

Hmm, i always thought smoking would ruin your taste, what makes it so special. I gave up smoking 6 years ago and i must say, everything tastes better and smells better. So what is it what makes smoking cigars and drinking port so special ? Or is it more the idea of being in a gentlemen's club ?
If it ain't dutch it ain't much

http://www.erikwiechers.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Erik Wiechers wrote:Hmm, i always thought smoking would ruin your taste, what makes it so special. I gave up smoking 6 years ago and i must say, everything tastes better and smells better. So what is it what makes smoking cigars and drinking port so special ? Or is it more the idea of being in a gentlemen's club ?
I agree with you that cigars ruin your taste, but at the point I smoke cigars is after I've done my tasting notes and have entered into "the drinking phase" of the port evening. Not all port has to be drunk in a critical manner, and I do taste the port with cigar. It may even taste different. I think some of it has to do with tradition perhaps just as many enjoy Scotch, Tequila, wine, or even sparlking water with a cigar. Some say the port may ruin the taste of cigar, so go figure.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I would never smoke a cigar before a tasting. Like Moses, a cigar is for after I've made all my notes and are in the "relax and drink" phase of the evening, as it will hurt your palate if you're trying to take notes. But after all notes are done, its great to sit outside with a nice glass of Port, smoking a good cigar, and enjoying the company of friends.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I agree. The cigars come out after the tasting. It adds to the conviviality of the event.
Rich Greenberg
Location: Redwood City, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Rich Greenberg »

One of my favorites is an Arturo Fuente Hemmingway Masterpiece (9", 42 or 44 ring size, I think), in a Maduro wrapper (this one is somewhat rare.) Takes quite a while to finish.....

R
Alex R
Location: LA LA Land, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Alex R »

Montecristo Especial No. 1 or The No. 2, are my two favorite cigars(right now, ask me again tomorrow). Speaking of cigars I am running low, :cry: I think it’s time to send the nun on a cigar run!!!! :twisted: (inside joke) :joker:
Otto Nieminen

Post by Otto Nieminen »

Moses Botbol wrote:In general, I find Madeira to be a better match then port for cigars. I am still going to smoke cigars with port either way.

Trinidad Fundadores is my favorite cigar with port or madeira.
I like oxidative wines with cigars as the smoke doesn't seem to kill the aromatics of such wines as easily: tawny Ports, or even better, as you say, Madeira - but I have so far been most pleased with old Sherries (VORS preferrably), Palo Cortados and Olorosos especially as their nuttiness goes so well with the nuttiness of a good Cuban.

Trinidad is fantastic. I like the other strong producers, too: Bolivar and Partagas make some of my favourites.

-Otto
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Otto Nieminen wrote: I like oxidative wines with cigars as the smoke doesn't seem to kill the aromatics of such wines as easily: tawny Ports, or even better, as you say, Madeira - but I have so far been most pleased with old Sherries (VORS preferrably), Palo Cortados and Olorosos especially as their nuttiness goes so well with the nuttiness of a good Cuban.

Trinidad is fantastic. I like the other strong producers, too: Bolivar and Partagas make some of my favourites.

-Otto
Yes, we are on the same page with this one. I also enjoy sherry with cigars.
Andrew E

Post by Andrew E »

Sorry to bring this old topic back, but just wanted to make some comments.

Roy, lucky you that you got to have a 7 year aged Cuban, I'm only buying my first batches and haven't even reached 6 months yet. From what I've read Cubans tend to change as rapidly as month to month with aging and by around 3 years are at a whole new level.

As for drinking (anything, not just port or wine) and smoking together, many times I've found enhanced flavors to come out. The most dramatic change I had once was while enjoying a CAO Lx2 (Good cigar, not to my taste though) and a 2007 Bogle petite syrah port style wine. Like I mentioned, the Lx2 wasn't my favorite, but about a third of the way in I popped open the bottle and had my first sip, and WOW [yahoo.gif] the residual flavor in my mouth in between draws instantly doubled. That's saying something considering I'm still developing my palate. So you may not necessarily be tasting your wine or cigar alone, but you are in for a whole new flavor experience.

Tawnies do seem to be the best for me for matching though, although I have yet to try a Madeira.

I also typically only smoke one cigar a month, and at most 3 in any given month depending on any celebrations so it's a nice escape or excuse to have a relaxing hour or two sitting on the porch with a friend or alone, and not a habit.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andrew E wrote: Roy, lucky you that you got to have a 7 year aged Cuban, I'm only buying my first batches and haven't even reached 6 months yet. From what I've read Cubans tend to change as rapidly as month to month with aging and by around 3 years are at a whole new level.
Cuban cigars go through a "sick period" which can start around a year after the box code and take a year or two to get through. The cigars will taste flat or show some ammonia notes. Generally, smoke Habanos within a year or after 2+ years. I like a 3 year buffer to start unless a really fresh box.

You'll see with the boxes you've bought that the cigars will go downhill for a bit and then come back. Don't be alarmed. Keep smoking them fresh or put them away to age.