A 'dumb" question about vintage declarations

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Paul Fountain

Re: A 'dumb" question about vintage declarations

Post by Paul Fountain »

Wow, this has been a really interesting thread to read through so thanks to all involved. :thumbsup: It's been great to have some info from the horse's mouth. Thanks David! I reckon that is a great idea to have Antonio in for a guest corner at some stage as it would be great to get a vitculturalist's point of view. I'm sure they don't always agree with the winemaker :-)
Now, if only I could go find a VP from 2001. I don't think I've ever seen one but that isn't so suprising in my part of the world!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Well, I haven't seen any 2001 in my parts, so I decided to do some online searching. This looks like a good deal:
http://www.justgrapes.net/istar.asp?a=6&id=39966!MED
I can't say I've ever dealt with that merchant.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

David,

Can't thank you enough for dropping in and sharing with us some of your vast knowledge. It has really meant a lot :thumbsup: :thanks:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Guimaraens

Post by Guimaraens »

Paul Fountain wrote:Wow, this has been a really interesting thread to read through so thanks to all involved. :thumbsup: It's been great to have some info from the horse's mouth. Thanks David! I reckon that is a great idea to have Antonio in for a guest corner at some stage as it would be great to get a vitculturalist's point of view. I'm sure they don't always agree with the winemaker :-)
Now, if only I could go find a VP from 2001. I don't think I've ever seen one but that isn't so suprising in my part of the world!

Paul,

it is great to hear from Australia. I spoke earlier today with my winemaker colleagues, Nick Haselgrove and Peter Gago. They called me as they were about to pull the cork on a bottle of 1966 Fonseca. I studied oenology at Roseworthy between 1987 and 1990. Australia was a key part of my winemaking education and I owe a lot to your country.
You can get hold of 2001 Guimaraens through Garry Steel, Domaine Wine Shippers, Melbourne. Vintage Cellars import Taylor's, and if you can get your hands on some Vargellas 2001, you will enjoy what is ine of my favourite Single Quinta Vintage Ports.
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

David,

Thanks very much for your contribution here, it is very interesting and insightful! I especially like your comments about 2000/2001, as the 2001 Guimaraens is a port that I loved ever since release, it is indeed pretty close to the 2000. I am a fan of the Guimaraens concept, and luckily they're quite easy to find in the Netherlands (where I'm from, although I now live in the Middle East). Especially in years like 2001 they are incredible value for money.

Thanks again,
Ronald
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Also, a question about the Guimaraens 1976 vintage. Is there a story attached to the fact that this port is so incredible powerful, young, and dark, even now? It is head and shoulders above other 76's and will even give many a 1977 a run for its money. Was it sheer luck or did your father and his winemaking team do something right that the others didn't? I am aware of the fact that this port was made well before your time as winemaker but perhaps you discussed it once with your father? It is a port I am very much impressed by (we even chose it as the port to serve on our wedding dinner) and I feel very happy that I was able to buy a case a couple of years ago.

Many thanks,
Ronald
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

Guimaraens wrote: it is great to hear from Australia. I spoke earlier today with my winemaker colleagues, Nick Haselgrove and Peter Gago. They called me as they were about to pull the cork on a bottle of 1966 Fonseca. I studied oenology at Roseworthy between 1987 and 1990. Australia was a key part of my winemaking education and I owe a lot to your country.
You can get hold of 2001 Guimaraens through Garry Steel, Domaine Wine Shippers, Melbourne. Vintage Cellars import Taylor's, and if you can get your hands on some Vargellas 2001, you will enjoy what is ine of my favourite Single Quinta Vintage Ports.
Thanks for the advice on where to find the Guimaraens and Taylors David. I've not met Nick or Peter personally, but I'm certainly familiar with their work. It's just turned cold over here so I'm sure that a 66 Fonseca would have been most appropriate.
Guimaraens

Post by Guimaraens »

Ronald Wortel wrote:Also, a question about the Guimaraens 1976 vintage. Is there a story attached to the fact that this port is so incredible powerful, young, and dark, even now? It is head and shoulders above other 76's and will even give many a 1977 a run for its money. Was it sheer luck or did your father and his winemaking team do something right that the others didn't? I am aware of the fact that this port was made well before your time as winemaker but perhaps you discussed it once with your father?
The 1976 Guimaraens is certainly one of a kind, and has many followers. It is unusual in that it has always been so incredibly dark and concentrated. There is no specific explanation that I can give you, other than this is a general characteristic of Fonseca/Guimaraens, and the extremelly hot and dry year of 1976 gave the perfect conditions for this level of concentration.

In a similar way the 1985 Fonseca Vintage is one of a kind, and also has maintained its colour and structure much more than all other 1985's. This is also a characteristic of the 2009 Fonseca which you will get to see in the coming months.

Regarding the comparrisson of the 1976 vs 1977, I have to confess that although the Fonseca 1977 is lighter in colour than the Guimaraens 1976, it is incredibly fine and complex with so much of the characteristic bottle maturity that I enjoy in a bottle of vintage.

These two years side by side are a perfect example of the two distinct style of Vintage years, the 1976 is one of the hot years where your depth and concentration comes more from berry shrivelling and dehidration. These years tend to be bigger in structure and tannin and often take longer to come around. The 1970 was a classic example of such a year in that this year lay in the shadow of the 1963's for such a long time, and look at them now. The 1977 on the other hand is a perfect example of a cooler year where the depth and concentration comes from the ripening of the vine. These years tend to be finer and more polished, with extraordinary lusciousness and freshness of fruit. Although these years drop their colour quicker, they develop fantastic complexity and bottle maturity, and live just as long as the more concentrated, hotter years. To me the 2007's are totally in line with the 1977's.
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Thanks for the explanation David. I like the comparison between 2007 and 1977!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The best information we've seen about vintage declarations and all that they entail, what counts as a split and with whom, can be found in A QUESTION FOR THE PORT TRADE in one of the past issues of the newsletter. I am in Portugal at the moment, so someone else is going to have to find that issue and post a link. [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Guimaraens wrote:This is particularly evident in the 2001's at the moment. I challenge you all to go out this week and open some 2001's!!!!!!!

best regards,
David Fonseca Guimaraens
David, my 10th Anniversary is this year and I purchased a case of 2001 Guimaraens for celebrating my marriage to my wonderful life for many years to come (coincidentally, it was my first full-case purchase ever a few years ago!). I will take you up on your challenge and open the first of these 01's to find out for myself just how they are progressing.

As many others have expressed, thank you so much for sharing your insight, knowledge and passion wit us here on this forum! We are all truy grateful.

Todd
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Todd,

I'm really pleased to see you back here and contributing again. Your absence has always been felt and at least we've kept in touch over the past few years. Who knows, maybe we'll even drink some Port together later this year (Nov.) during my annual trek to Edmonton.

Congrats to you my friend ... when is your anniversary?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andrew E wrote:I'll add another slightly dumber question. About how long until a new vintage like the 2009 shows up on the market.
I received an e-mail today from TCWC for 2009 Taylor, Fonseca, and Croft, with delivery in early 2012.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Roy Hersh wrote:Todd,

I'm really pleased to see you back here and contributing again. Your absence has always been felt and at least we've kept in touch over the past few years. Who knows, maybe we'll even drink some Port together later this year (Nov.) during my annual trek to Edmonton.

Congrats to you my friend ... when is your anniversary?
Roy, I have missed being around and the great folks at have always been as well as the new great folks i have to meet!

My anniversary is in December (8th) and I'm looking forward to opening up a few special bottles. Although my wife is not as much into the VPs, I have a couple of aged tawnies and Colheitas that i have been collecting over the past year or so.

I look forward to seeing you again in November... If they have not selected a theme yet, I know i will have a few suggestions.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Todd has done another disappearing trick, not his first. I hope he finds time to come back and visit.

Any new thoughts on this excellent thread?